Low Clearance Toilet Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarrod

Reaction score
Since I've framed in the wall my clearance has been reduced to 10" back to center and 8" from left to center (after drywall). What are my options for a toilet to fit in this space?

So far I've found the Toto Aquai with a 10" rough in but I'd like to know if there are options in the under $400 range. Would something mounted in the corner be an option?

Illinois doesn't have any minimum distance for wall codes as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 641

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would do some more work on the walls first.

Code from center to wall on the sides is 15"
You have arms, and they have to fit in there somewhere.

taylor_tight_space.jpg

The TP is overhead. There was no room on the side walls for it.

Last edited:

Jarrod

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I don't think the walls can get any smaller. They're up against cinder block walls and have 2" drains running through.

Is a corner fit something possible?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I think Terry is saying that 16" is too small, that you need to take the walls down so that afterwards it is up to code. The Aqua Tank is 15-3/8" wide so it is going to be a very tight fit (5/16" space on each side.) The problem is that if you measure your shoulders from side to side it will probably be around 24", in which case you will not be able to get into the opening.

Find a chair that fits you fine, one that the seat back is no wider than your shoulders when you sit down. Now measure the seat width. Chances are it will be more than 16".

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can turn the furring flat against the cinder block, which gains you 2"
You can also break concrete, and move the drain.

taylor_tight_space.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Illinois doesn't have any minimum distance for wall codes

The code is the same EVERYWHERE, 15" from the center to EITHER wall. An angle toilet requires that the opening be 12" from the rear AND side wall. you will NOT find any toilet that is 16" wide. I think you will have to go back to the drawing board.

Jarrod

Reaction score
quote; Illinois doesn't have any minimum distance for wall codes

The code is the same EVERYWHERE, 15" from the center to EITHER wall. An angle toilet requires that the opening be 12" from the rear AND side wall. you will NOT find any toilet that is 16" wide. I think you will have to go back to the drawing board.

Need help with the drawing board part. I appreciate the quick answers. I'm in need of options.

Jarrod

Reaction score
I decided to get a 10" rough in and mount it in the corner. I'll move or cut two of the studs make a recessed area to accommodate the tank. I can apply tiles or drywall directly to the blocks in that space to finish it.

I cut paper to scale to make sure it would work then purchased the toilet and dry fit the bowl. It does fit fine on the floor without cutting out the bottom plate.

It's not the cleanest solution but I think I can make it look nice by finishing it well. And at that angle I'll have 18" on either side on the bowl.

Do you see any other concerns?

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,630
Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other concerns? I hope you realize that, for as long as your proposed installation exists, almost
everyone who sees it is going to snicker, roll their eyes, and say (or at least think) disparaging
things about the installer.

taylor_tight_space.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarrod

Reaction score
Other concerns? I hope you realize that, for as long as your proposed installation exists, almost
everyone who sees it is going to snicker, roll their eyes, and say (or at least think) disparaging
things about the installer.
Yall are asses.

Reach4

Reaction score
I sure am glad I did not post my idea about using a Unifit backwards.

John28

Reaction score
I decided to get a 10" rough in and mount it in the corner. I'll move or cut two of the studs make a recessed area to accommodate the tank. I can apply tiles or drywall directly to the blocks in that space to finish it.

I cut paper to scale to make sure it would work then purchased the toilet and dry fit the bowl. It does fit fine on the floor without cutting out the bottom plate.

It's not the cleanest solution but I think I can make it look nice by finishing it well. And at that angle I'll have 18" on either side on the bowl.

Do you see any other concerns?

index.php

Please, post a picture, once complete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks