Low clearance toilet drain

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Frankbranch, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Frankbranch

Frankbranch New Member

I would love to buy you a beer or two or three. Just wish I had a good plumber I could call who would actually show up sober. Anyway, sounds like the spigot closet bend is the best shot, will also get some parts for a plan B and modify as we go along.

2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

So the 1-3/4" thickness includes the finish floor? As I imagine you don't have exposed OSB in the bathroom. And the closet flange gets installed on top of the finish floor, not on the subfloor.

If so, that explains the discrepancy.

Cheers, Wayne

3. Frankbranch

Frankbranch New Member

Correct, it includes the underlayment / vinyl finish floor. Plan to upgrade that at some point in time, but not now. I measured it via sticking a tape measure through the hole left by an earlier CPVC supply line.

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Changing the finish floor elevation in the future would be easier if you use an outside fit compression flange or an inside fit barbed non-glue flange.

Cheers, Wayne

5. Frankbranch

Frankbranch New Member

I went with the outside compression, was concerned that the inside barbed versions required more length in the spigot end than I would have available. Going to have a bunch of extra parts, being in a rural area a trip to a supply house eats a good chunk of a day, so I always buy extra. Thanks for all your help.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

We recently used an outside clamping style on a project where the flanges had never been secured to the floor. The old ones, which were the exact same model, were a bit difficult to remove once they had been on for a LONG time on cast iron.. You'll probably have better luck with them on plastic pipe.

7. Frankbranch

Frankbranch New Member

It’s in, got the clearance in the ceiling and back wall. Used a 4” street closet flange and a Otaey clamp on closet flange, came out looking pretty good. First two images are the old work, last is the new. Thanks for all the great suggestions and guidance.

upload_2021-4-14_14-1-49.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-14_14-2-38.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-14_14-4-3.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge, Reach4 and wwhitney like this.