Loud tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

AgentG

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here needing some advice.
I'm doing a bathroom remodel and have completed the newly tiled floor and installed a cast iron tub and the associated plumbing. I decided to try out the tub fixtures and noticed that the new copper pipes are very loud when the tub spout is being used. When the shower is on it's quiet, almost no noise. The mixing valve is one of the new style pressure-thermostatic controlled valves. The old mixing valve was the type that had three knobs where one was the diverter.
My house has 3/4 brass pipe from the meter to the hot water heater. Also 3/4 from the water heater (which is in the basement) to the ceiling of the first floor then it branches to 1/2 inch copper to the bathroom on the second floor.
So I'm wondering what could be causing this loud noise. A pressure imbalance or too much pressure or volume?
Any help appreciated
plumbing.jpg

This is a pic of the valve and plumbing

Thanks

AgentG

Reaction score
I can't remember opening it to the max but I never had loud pipes either. So the new style valves allow the water in at the max rate and this causes the loud noise? It's like I can hear the water moving in the pipes. So if I reduce the flow rate would this reduce the noise?

Reach4

Reaction score
If the wall is still open, try feeling the pipes while you are hearing the sound.

AgentG

Reaction score
The wall is open and when I touch the pipes I can feel the water sort of flowing in the pipes. There is a smaller bathroom on the other side of this one with an old style 2 handle mixer and that one is quiet. This is puzzling:confused: I'm trying to get this fixed before I close the wall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks