Loud sounds of water rushing in pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

wjd

Reaction score
I have 2 bathrooms upstairs and just had a dartmouth by toto installed in one of the bathrooms and when we are downstaris and we flush the toilet we hear a loud rushing sound of water going threw the pipes for 1 minute or so we do not hear this when we flish the other toilet by mansfield we never heard this loud rushing sound with our old toilet can there be an leak in the pipes or is it the force of the toto toilet working? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quietfill.jpg

Is the sound that of water draining down the pipe, or of water filling the tank?

If it's water filling the tank, is the shutoff valve opened all the way? I open my all the way out and them back them in so the handle is vertical. That way if someone tries the valve, they can find which way it should turn.
I've seen too many people just "crank" on something assuming that they need to.
It also looks a little nicer, plus I can tell at a glance if the water is on.

If the fill valve is getting it's water, it should be pretty quiet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The first part of the flush takes a few seconds, then the "fill valve" will fill the tank and the bowl.
I've seen that take somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.
I don't know why water from one brand to the next would sound much different.
I would expect a little more sound with the Toto in the first few seconds. It is a quicker flush. They both are dropping 1.6 gallons though.

wjd

Reaction score
what is the korky quitefill is this something I have to replace to make my toto fill up quieter?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Korky makes the Toto fill valve, one of the quietest on the market.
It may be that since it's a new valve, the water is running better now.
The old Mansfield may have had a dirty seal in the ballcock or the shutoff at the wall may have been turned down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the reasons the Toto toilets work well is that they dump all of their water quickly - they have a larger diameter flapper than most others. Thus, when you flush, all of the water dumps VERY quickly. Most other toilets empty slower. My guess is that that is normal...for this toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks