Loud humming noise

Users who are viewing this thread

bgo

Reaction score
Just recently (last 3 days) when we come in after having been gone all day, there is a loud humming noise that can be heard throughout the house but can be traced to master bath (small closet for toilet). Flushing the toilet stops the noise. Any ideas and suggestions? Thanks

roger3125

Reaction score
What about my situation? The toilet flushes well but at the end of the tank being refilled I hear a humming sound coming from the wall behind the toilet.

As i said the toilet runs fine but I'm concerned whether this needs immediate attention or can it be put off a week or so.

Thanks guys
roger3125@sbcglobal.net

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put some food coloring in the tank of the toilet. Let it sit overnight. My guess is that it will be clear in the morning. The fill valve is not fully shutting off is the likely situation. Depending on the model and type, it might be a $3 part and 30-seconds, or you may need to replace the valve for about $10, unless you need a plumber to do it which would add the service call (probably minimum - could be $100 or more, depending on where you live). You could also try turning the supply valve at the wall to the toilet off. The noise will (probably) stop (unless the valve is making the noise, or it doesn't actually shut off, either).

Reaction score
The old fill valves would sometimes get grit in them. It's been a few years since I last did that, but when I had fill shut off issues I would disassemble the top works first and rinse any crud out. That usually worked unless the diaphragm's/whatnot were deteriorating in some way, in which case I would replace the fill valve.

Might also check your home water pressure when this is happening to see if it is within the normal range.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks