Loud Draining: New bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jons_junk

Reaction score
New sink and plumbing under the vanity. When I run the water, the draining noise is much louder then it was before. It's sort of a gurgling sound. I'm certain something's not right.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me...was the trap and arm on the old install metal, or plastic? The fall to the trap isn't beyond specs, but it is falling a bit before it gets to the trap and that will make some noise when it 'hits'.

Reach4

Reaction score
What drain did you use? (make and model)

Jons_junk

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what drain this is, as my bathroom contractor did the work.

In my old sink (original to the house 20 years ago), everything below the pop-up was plastic. Here's another video of one of those original sinks. Not nearly as loud to me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After some use, the toothpaste will coat the pipes and it will be quieter.
I see nothing wrong with the installation.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what drain this is, as my bathroom contractor did the work.
I am surprised. Usually there is a trap adapter near the wall, and slip drain stuff is used to the tailpiece. Your tailpiece looks stressed. I am not saying that contributes to your symptoms.

The reason that I asked about the drain was because some drains are made for sinks with overflows, and some are made for others. I was wondering if that contributed. I don't know if gurgling would be an effect of the wrong one. I am not a plumber.

Jons_junk

Reaction score
@Terry ... I guess I'll have to start brushing my teeth now.

@Reach4 ... Help me out with this stressed thing. I'm not sure what this is, and how you can tell that by the photo.

Reach4

Reaction score
Help me out with this stressed thing. I'm not sure what this is, and how you can tell that by the photo.
It does not look aligned and unstressed to me. As I said, I don't think that is impacting your sound.

Attachments

• temp_5.jpg
    temp_5.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 449

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tailpiece at the bottom of the sink ideally, is perfectly aligned with the part below (i.e., concentric and parallel). As long as it seals, I don't think you'll have any issues, and it may just be the camera lens and the viewing angle.

OldCaliHouse

Reaction score
I just installed a new vanity and sink with a pop-up drain and I have the same loud draining problem. The noise drives me crazy! Did the original poster ever solve this, or does anyone have a suggestion for what might be causing it?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a good installation. It would be more serviceable if it were done with all slip joint fittings, though. That way you could put a couple of 45's in the drop to cancel out the noise.

J.j.cham

Reaction score
Is that a Kohler? Mine does the same. Plumber says it's the sink its self and to just cover the overflow. The one sink that is almost plugged up is quiet. So I am just going to have to wait for mine to get gummed up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks