Loud drain bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

J.j.cham

Reaction score
I have 2 bathroom sinks that are very loud (like gurgling) when they drain and bubbles come up. There is no delay with draining just noise. If i plug the overflow it will fill up. I have 5 sinks and only hear it in 1 of the master bathroom sinks and the basement. I have used drain opener and an auger but still will not go away.

I think it's a partial clog, but I dont know what to do to get rid of it. Called a couple of plumbers and they just said it was normal. It is extremely annoying and it didn't always sound this way.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
...... If i plug the overflow it will fill up. I have 5 sinks and only hear it in 1 of the master bathroom sinks and the basement.........

Have you checked the venting? Are you saying when the sink overflows are plugged, the sinks don't drain in the master bath? The noise from the basement sink, is it from its own when draining or the noise is heard from the basement sink when the bathroom sink is draining? No noise otherwise such as when a toilet is flushed? The master bath sinks, are there two p-traps one for each sink or do they share one p-trap?

Can you provide a picture of the bathroom sink traps?

J.j.cham

Reaction score
Hello there is no noise when toilet is flush or other fixtures are ran. It just sounds loud when water is going down the drain. Like its rushing down quickly. There is water in the ptraps so it's not sucking it out. In the master there are 2 separate ptraps ( 1 per sink).

Attachments

• 20201007_154157.jpg
    20201007_154157.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 246

Reach4

Reaction score
If i plug the overflow it will fill up.
Can you tell us more about that?

I think you are saying that the sink will not drain if you cover the overflow holes, preventing air from exiting. I think that could be caused by a belly in the line before a real vent (not an AAV). That could be checked by running a camera down the drain path and see if significant standing water was encountered. I am not a plumber, and I have not run a camera down a drain line.

Running that camera would be easier if the trap was converted to a slip joint trap.

Was this bathroom area part of the original construction, or was it added later?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks