Loud burner? 75 Gallon US Craftmaster water heater (propane) see pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scooterbugg

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just installed a 75 gallon propane fired US Craftmaster tank water heater. Model G2F7575T4PV. I fired it up and it is waaaayyy louder when fired than the old 40 gallon tank. I know it is a higher BTU burner and noticed it is a different design. The old heater had a sticker on it that said something to the effect that it had been converted to liquid propane gas from natural gas. The sticker was on the gas valve. This new water heater appears to have been designed as Propane from the start, or at least it has a different style burner. The end of the burner where the gas line attaches has a bell shaped in the casting and it draws in fresh air or combustion air around the bell. The original heater just had a line from the valve to the burner head, it did not appear to have any area to draw in air around it. I have a similar appearing standalone burner for brewing beer, and it has a throttle plate on it that rotates to restrict the airflow so I can adjust the efficiency of the flame. This burner on the water heater has a tapped hole that looks like it is intended for a hold down bolt for a rotating throttle plate or whatever it is called, but there is no plate. Question is, did they leave the throttle plate out on accident? See pictures please. First pic is of burner on water heater. Second pic is of my Blichman beer brewing burner with a throttle plate on it. The water heater flame looks more blue / less orange when I cover up some of the intake air opening on the burner "bell", which leads me to believe maybe I'm missing a throttle plate or whatever it might be called. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scooterbugg

Reaction score
Top picture is my water heater as it was supplied brand new in the box. Bottom pic is of my brewing burner. I'm wondering if the heater (top pic) is missing a plate similar to the brew burner (bottom pic) or if it is ok as supplied. Flame is aggressive, loud and has more orange in it than I think is normal. If I choke off some of the entry point for air the flame turns more blue / efficient looking. So the question goes back to if the burner is correct and not missing anything. If it's normal, maybe it is a venting issue. I vented this heater same as old one but old was 40 gallon 3 inch vent this is 75 gallon with 4 inch vent. Vent comes out of hood with a 90 then raises horizontally (plenty of rise, well over 1/4 inch per foot) for about 5 feet into a 6 inch for about 4 feet then a 90 and straight up. I'm thinking I need to go straight up out of the hood a foot or so then 90 over and do my upward slope. I read a lot on venting and everyone says it's a bad idea to put a 90 right down at the hood. Is this correct? Thank you.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Top picture is my water heater as it was supplied brand new in the box. Bottom pic is of my brewing burner. I'm wondering if the heater (top pic) is missing a plate similar to the brew burner (bottom pic) or if it is ok as supplied. Flame is aggressive, loud and has more orange in it than I think is normal.

Every one that I have seen does have a Air Shutter.

You should read your installation manual for proper venting.

You may want to call and see what is up with the missing Air Shutter.

1-800-937-1037

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks