Loss of water in two wells

Users who are viewing this thread

zues

Reaction score
We have 2 wells, one for house and one for dairy barn, each are 150' deep. They are about 200' apart. They are completely seperate systems (at least on the surface). This fall we started losing water in both wells. Previously we could run water all day and never run completely out. I now run out on a daily basis. There was seismic testing for natural gas wells done about a half mile from the wells at about the time we started losing water, but from what little info I can find on the subject that seems to far away to have caused the problem (although at this point I believe this to be the cause). There was also a gas well that was not producing re-started about 2500'- 3000' away from the wells. Could either of these things somehow diverted underground water away from us? We are on solid shale and drilling new wells would be very expensive, especially if there is no longer water to be found. The wells are producing at a very low rate and storage may be our best route, but only if the don't stop producing alltogether. Any help/suggetions are appreciated. We are at wits end. Thanks

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Water Loss in Wells!

I am always concerned with explosions under the surface (such as seismograph usually does) anywhere. It is my experience that explosions below the surface can and do disrupt water flows underground.

The gas wells are cased and grouted very deep and should not cause a problem to water wells.

To prevent the necessity of drilling new wells you may need to do some constructive engineering.
Low Volume Wells

Over the years I have drilled in areas of the world where water wells provide dependable but very low yields. I have come up with a simple design where home owners can get by with these wells of low yield quite well.
The included plumbing diagram is designed for a low flow well system of ¼ gpm or more.
A well that only supplies ¼ gallon per minute can supply 360 gallons of water in 24 hours. Today in the United States the average person uses approximately 75 gallons of water per day. Meaning a household of 4 people would use about 300 gallons per day while still having 60 gallons left over. Depending on the size of the storage tank, when it is full there’s enough reserve left over to use for other things.
Depending on the climate and regulations in your area, the non pressurized tank can be buried or just hidden. It can be made of plastic and almost any size from about 500 gallons to 3000 gallons depending on the amount of money that you want to spend; the space allowed and the amount of storage you desire. Keep in mind that the larger the tank the more storage you have in case of a fire.
The second pump can be a submersible inside the non pressurized tank or a shallow well jet pump outside or in the garage or storage area. The hydro pneumatic (pressure tank) can be very small if you use a Cycle Stop Valve in the secondary system. The Cycle Stop Valve will supply a constant pressure while providing a variable flow depending on the demand. With a small tank the pump will run until there is no water drawn. The amperage drawn will be in relation to the gpm demand.
A Cycle Sensor or other pump sensor will turn the pump off when the well runs low on water and restarts automatically when the timer is set to come on again. The Cycle Sensor can be adjusted to restart again anytime from 0 hours up to 5 hours. These controllers must be adjusted to coincide with the time it takes the well to replenish itself.
Depending on whether using a submersible or a jet pump for the second pump you must have a check valve in the respective location before the Cycle Stop Valve and the pressure switch should be mounted near the hydro pneumatic tank.
This Low Yield system can be as simple or as complicated as a person desires.
State regulators and many people think you must have a minimum of 5 gpm from the well for a home. Not true, if it’s not there you can’t get it. Try this Low Yield system when needed. I promise that you’ll have a satisfied customer.
I'm sorry I can't get our drawing to attach here. If you need the drawing ask Terry Love at www:Terrylove.com if he can assist you in contacting me directly! I can email the complete story to an email address.

zues

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Porky. Since both wells seemed to lose water so quickly, is there a chance they will quit producing completely? Cows drink huge amounts of water and cleaning the milking system is a large demand also. Do you think drilling down a little further would help or might we lose what little water we are getting now? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks