Loss of Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

dane

Reaction score
I have a 1 hp Flotec FP5162-08 controlled by an anolog intermatik timer box with a back yard canal as my source ( Florida). I has five zones with anywhere from 4 - 8 sprinklers in each zone. I initially noticed that I was loosing pressure in one zone, however if I cycled the all the zones, on the second run the problemed zone work fine.

Now I am loosing pressure in all zones in quite the same manner. Could this signal that the attached check valve has gone bad?

I have admit that I have noticed some air in the system, but not more than was experienced when system was fully functional. Also when I disconnect the union attachment after the pump, I am able to get very good pressure after a a couple seconds incremental increases ( Water flow starts off low then gradually gets stronger)

Attachments

• Sprinkler system.jpg
    Sprinkler system.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 345

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You probably have a suction leak. Plastic union on the suction side is not a good idea. The o-ring seal will hold good under pressure but not under vacuum.

dane

Reaction score
Do you have a strainer that could be partly clogged?
Not that i am able to see. Also i got very good flow after I disconnected the union after the pump. But i will look into the possiblilty a bit further. Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have admit that I have noticed some air in the system, but not more than was experienced when system was fully functional. Also when I disconnect the union attachment after the pump, I am able to get very good pressure after a a couple seconds incremental increases ( Water flow starts off low then gradually gets stronger)

When running a larger flow rate such as when the union on the discharge is disconnected, the pump draws in more water than air and may pump good. When you restrict the flow rate, such as when running a small zone, the amount of air being sucked in will overtake the smaller amount of water, and the pump will start loosing prime and pumping less water.

dane

Reaction score
Solution!!

I removed the union before the pump intake and am glad to say it is running better than I have ever seen. Thank you valveman and smooky for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks