Loss of Pressure to Yard Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Pcapes

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a well, runs the house and 3 outdoor yard faucets. Recently we turned one of the yard faucets on and it had normal awesome pressure, but after about 30 seconds the pressure dropped to about what I would have in the house faucet. This has never been the case, usually the pressure outside is very high. Thought maybe i had a bad faucet and tried one of the others, same issue. Any ideas why this would drop like it does?

Thanks for any help,
P

Reach4

Reaction score
Watch the pressure gauge at the pressure tank while you try that again. If you don't have a handy helper, take a movie of the pressure gauge.

Pcapes

Reaction score
Watch the pressure gauge at the pressure tank while you try that again. If you don't have a handy helper, take a movie of the pressure gauge.
Turned it on pressure was holding normal on gauge, after a few seconds went down to zero and stayed there till I shut it off. We had a new pressure tank put in, in May. All seems fine in the house... worked fine at the yard faucets too, until just now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Make sure that the pressure switch is delivering power to the pump. Is the pump delayed starting, or not delivering enough gpm to keep up?

Do you have a 3-wire pump with controller box?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Turned it on pressure was holding normal on gauge, after a few seconds went down to zero and stayed there till I shut it off. We had a new pressure tank put in, in May. All seems fine in the house... worked fine at the yard faucets too, until just now.

No such thing as "normal" pressure. What is the pressure on the gauge and how does it change when using the yard faucet?

Pcapes

Reaction score
No such thing as "normal" pressure. What is the pressure on the gauge and how does it change when using the yard faucet?
Pressure is between 40-60psi. Works fine while using water in the house. Pump runs, starts up at 40psi shuts off at 60. BUT...When the outside yard faucet is turned on, it runs at good pressure until it drops to 40psi where the pump should kick on but pressure drops to zero.
Put in a new pressure switch hoping that was the problem...did not solve it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pressure is between 40-60psi. Works fine while using water in the house. Pump runs, starts up at 40psi shuts off at 60. BUT...When the outside yard faucet is turned on, it runs at good pressure until it drops to 40psi
I think you are saying that the outdoor spigot runs fine until the pressure gauge at the pressure tank drops to zero. But at that point, the pump does not turn on until some water is used in the house. Is that what you are describing?

Are you saying that the spigot runs fine when the pump is initially off? I suspect not, and the spigot only works fine when the pump happens to be running.

That would indicate that you have a check valve between the spigot and the pressure switch and pressure tank. You don't want that. Remove or gut the above-ground check valve. If you don't know where the problem check valve is, show us a photo that includes your pressure switch, pressure gauge, and the pipe coming in from the well toward those things.

I was also wondering if what you describe could be caused by having outdoor spigots on the upstream side of a CSV. That could explain at least part of your symptoms, but that would cause the spigot flows alternating between very high and very low continually.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure is between 40-60psi. Works fine while using water in the house. Pump runs, starts up at 40psi shuts off at 60. BUT...When the outside yard faucet is turned on, it runs at good pressure until it drops to 40psi where the pump should kick on but pressure drops to zero.
Put in a new pressure switch hoping that was the problem...did not solve it.
release a few pounds of air pressure at the shrader valve at the top of the pressure tank and see if the problem persists

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks