Losing Prime on Discharge side

Users who are viewing this thread

Noel256

Reaction score
Hello,

I have since changed the sprinkler zone valve in this pic and a new ball valve.
The problem is this pump has never held prime so I changed the intake brass check valve, ball valve, Sprinkler zone.
Now, if I close the ball valve then shutdown the pump it will hold prime for months. If I open the ball valve it will lose prime overnight. Does a sprinkler pump lose prime on the discharge side?

Would putting a check valve on the discharge side on the vertical of the pvc work? I guess I can only do it and see if it works.

Thanks,

Noel

Attachments

• sprinklerv.jpeg
    sprinklerv.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 287

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Closing the discharge valve is like putting your finger over a straw full of ice tea. Water will not leak out the bottom and you will not lose prime. But if you have a tight suction and a good foot valve, you shouldn't lose prime even with that discharge valve closed.

Noel256

Reaction score
I thought only a check valve on the intake side was necessary on these shallow well pumps or that it didn't matter if there was a leak on the discharge side. As long as the check valve on the intake side is working properly it shouldn't lose prime but it does. I have changed everything yet the only way to keep prime is to close the discharge ball valve. I bought a brass check valve today but it won't fit on the discharge side unless I raise the sprinkler valve which is a pain!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You do not want a check valve on the discharge side. And a check valve on the suction will hold prime unless it is leaking or you have a suction leak in the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks