Losing presure w/o any water being used in home

Users who are viewing this thread

wayneh

Reaction score
Hi - my first time on here and hope I can get some advice.

I am losing water pressure w/o running any water in the house. As a result my pump comes on every few minutes, gets to pressure and shuts off, pressure goes down and pump comes on...again and again, but I have not lost the prime yet (though I'm prepared for this with a spare tank w/ water under pressure available to hook-up to regain prime as I have done when we a careless w/ water usage and overdraw the well). Particulars to my well system are:

-Well is hand dug, 60 feet deep, with a 36" well casing made of concrete cylinders.
-Pump is 1/2 HP jet pump located in the basement about 40' from the well.
-I have 2 thick plastic pipes (one is 1 1/4 inches and the other is 1 inch) going down to the well where there is an ejector (or injector whatever the right term is) w/ a foot valve attached. I replaced all of this about 15 years ago w/ help a plumber friend who has moved to Florida (I live near Annapolis, MD).
- My well water is very good IMO, but acidic (I treat it w/ sodium hydroxide in the home).

I am thinking that the ejector/foot valve has corroded (as happened 15 years ago) and is leaking the water in my lines back into the well so I am going to try to replace the ejector/ foot valve combo, but now I'm thinking I should replace the plastic lines too.

Have I analyzed this correctedly and what hardware should I make sure I have available when I start? - I'm kinda old (66), but have my two sons in their 20's to assist w/ the physical stuff.

Thanks much for any advice.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Your check valve is leaking. 15 years is a long time for a check valve. Get your guys to pull the injector and replace the check valve ASAP to prevent your pump, pressure switch and tank bladder from wearing out.

Be careful that nothing gets in the pipes or injector. If the pump won't build pressure after reinstalling everything, some debris got into the nozzle of the injector. If this happens clean the nozzle. Pumps don't build the pressure, the injector assembly does.

By the way I'm 75, I have to get my sons to do the physical work now. . . I just point my finger!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks