Losing pressure in combi boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave636

Reaction score
Purchased house in the last couple years and it has a Baxi ht 330 combi boiler. During summer months I get the e119 code requiring to pressurized probably once every 2 weeks. Winter time when the floor heat turns on I get the code probably every 2 days. Had a heating guy come out and I think my system intimated him as he didn't touch a thing and said they would have to have multiple people out to run a pressure test on the system. He was nice enough to charge me for the service call. Not saying that does not have to be done to figure out the problem. I see on multiple forums people experience these issues due to the internal expansion vessel, I have no external. Opened up my boiler today and it looks like it has leaked in the past out the side see pic. I mentioned to this heating guy about seeing multiple people indicating expansion vessel issues which he reported if there was a leak it would be coming out the pressure release valve. I plan on getting someone else out to check but what do you think should the expansion vessel be replaced prior to further leak testing?

Attachments

• 20191213_132519.jpg
    20191213_132519.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 219

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Dave636

Reaction score
I know nothing about these units but if the pressure vessel seems to leak and the error code reads pressure the system, I would replace it. That black stuff is probably the sealant used for the seam and from too much pressure or heat it oozed out. The part doesn't cost all that much and it seems like an easy replacement.

http://www.parts4heating.com/v/vspfiles/explodedViews/BaxiLuna-330-380-HT.html
https://www.parts4heating.com/SearchResults.asp?Extensive_Search=Y&Search=5662630

I will look into replacing, thanks.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Given that most boilers are way oversized for their space heating loads, and most combi-boilers are way oversized for the radiation (especially on multi-zoned systems, run both this math and this math before picking a replacement to make sure you don't short-cycle it into low efficiency and short lifecycle.

The minimum modulated output of a Baxi HT 330 is pretty close to the heat load of my place when it's -15C outside and WAY over my average wintertime heat load, which means it would basically never modulate on space heating calls at my house. YMMV.

Dave636

Reaction score
Given that most boilers are way oversized for their space heating loads, and most combi-boilers are way oversized for the radiation (especially on multi-zoned systems, run both this math and this math before picking a replacement to make sure you don't short-cycle it into low efficiency and short lifecycle.

The minimum modulated output of a Baxi HT 330 is pretty close to the heat load of my place when it's -15C outside and WAY over my average wintertime heat load, which means it would basically never modulate on space heating calls at my house. YMMV.

Sorry when I said I would replace I meant I would replace the expansion vessel not the whole boiler.

Dave636

Reaction score
Just want to report it was the expansion vessel. To. Anyone that is losing pressure in their system press the the schrader valve. When I took the vessel out it was heavy compared to the replacement. I pressed the valve and water came out. Since replacing pressure holding strong. Was a bit scary filling boiler back up as water kept pouring out of the pressure relief valve, I think just due to air in the system, eventually resolved in a few minutes. Took a few hours for all the air to finally remove out of the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks