Losing pressure but no leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can explain this one because I have no idea. I have a PK1A kit for my shallow well pump. I mounted all the stuff from the kit on the pump, except for the tank. I plumbed the output side of the CSV valve into the main county water line coming in to my house. Yeah, I know, it sounds backwards but I’m going to cut the county line and use my well. Ok, so I have a ball valve at the pump. I plugged the intake side of my pump, I didn't want to put the tank on yet so I plugged that port. Then I opened the ball valve. Instantly my gage went to 70 PSI, which is what I'd expect. Then I closed the ball valve. The gage SLOWLY dropped. I'm talking slow. Like it loses 2-3 psi overnight. But there's no leaks anywhere around the pump. So, I thought maybe there's air in the CSV valve and all the small pipes around the pump. I mean I basically had air in the pipes from assembly, and blocked them all, then tried to force water in to them, right? Kind of like turning a garden hose on, with a closed nozzle, when it's full of air. The gage is the highest point of the stack that's on the pump. So, I slowly unscrewed the gage until water spewed out. Then I screwed it back tight. SO, I basically purged all the air from the stack. Again I opened the ball valve and again, instantly my gage went to 70 PSI. But again it loses a few pounds overnight. Maybe it loses 5-6 psi in 24 hours. But no water leaks anywhere. I don't get it. If the ball valve was leaking, I’d have 70 all the time, so that’s not it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You have no pressure tank during your observation? I don't think that is a meaningful test. Is the water heater fully cooled by the time you start? A degree or two of drop could have a big pressure change.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
0A0BBEEE-678A-4EE5-880F-834425EFDC98.jpeg
Nothing is hooked up. I am only pressure testing the pump and CSV fittings. It’s what you see in this pic from the ball valve to the pump and the stack. That’s it. Hardly anything.

Sergio Zito

Reaction score
10% pressure drop over 24 hs means nothing. As said before any temperature change alters the gauge reading.

That’s why pressure tanks are necessary, not to bother on this little details. Plug your tank and enjoy your system!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks