Loose Toilet - Repair Procedures

Users who are viewing this thread

Pluff Mud

Reaction score
I have a contract to purchase a house. My home inspector says the toilet in the first floor half bath is loose/wobbles and the wood floor it sits on is cupping. The seller disclosed an earlier leak that was repaired. They didn't say where the leak originated, but I assume from the tank. House is 15 years old and built on a slab. I keep getting pushback on repairing it. They want to give me a credit, but I don't know what the real problem is, so I want it fixed. I don't believe that they can identify the problem without pulling the toilet, as it could be the flange, seal or the cupped floor. I would appreciate some feedback from you professionals as to how you would go about identifying the problem and fixing it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Loose toilet, pull the bowl and take a look.
The closet flange is either solidly there, or it needs to be secured. With a wood floor, looking at wood screws, tile then holes may need drilling, a rotohammer is nice there, which also works well with concrete.
The rocking could be something as simple as needing shims near the back of the bowl, and come clear polyseamseal to finish it off.
I normally set the bowl down without wax first, shim if needed, pull the bowl, drop the wax down and then set the bowl.

I use closet bolts with four nuts and four washers. The first set to secure the bolts to the flange, the next set to install the bowl with.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Yikes

I wonder what plumbing code would allow a toilet to be set on a wooden floor?

We used to install a marble slab under the toilet as the code stated "set on non absorbent materials " for obvious reasons

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yikes

We used to install a marble slab under the toilet as the code stated "set on non absorbent materials " for obvious reasons

For years many new homes had wood floors for the powder bath downstairs. Are you saying that can cause issues?

closet-bolts-terrylove-03.jpg

closet-bolts-terrylove-05.jpg

Pluff Mud

Reaction score
Yikes

Your comment makes sense, but I can tell you that the toilet in our first floor half bath in SC sits on a heart of Pine floor, and the house was built in 2006. Our daughter's house in Dallas was built in 2016, and her toilet in the first floor half bath sits on Oak flooring.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I cant find it now but there was a marble slab with a 4" opening that the base of the toilet sat on that was installed on any surface that would allow moisture would be isolated from
Reasoning is obvious wood rot, mold etc.

NON absorbent materials

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks