Loose green tea leaves blocking kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Robbie_d

Reaction score
Nobody suggested a chemical solution. You have said a snake was not affordable, but you think these chemicals are affordable?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.drain-auger-38-x-25-feet.1000120281.html

Hi,
Actually, someone DID mention Zep gel, and I later asked the question pertaining to how could I get it down to the clog in the wall - either with the air compressor, or some other way. No one responded. I asked again - and again, a snake has been suggested, instead.

I can afford a snake but I don't "want" to buy one - as I just wrote in my previous post, "...not just yet.", and "...not at this point in time."
I won't use it on a regular basis, so why spend the extra money.
I have been on my own since I was 18 (i am 56 now) and I have only had one clogged drain before this one.

The chemical I was warned about, by the salesman, not to use with other chemicals is $10.00 +tax.
Not trying to sound rude, but I am not hear to discuss how I should spend my money and on what.
I saw the snake suggestion, and it's in my mind.

This forum has many members - only three people have responded thus far.
So to say that "nobody responded" is a bit far fetched, in my mind.

Thanks,
Robbie

Last edited:

Robbie_d

Reaction score
I had asked this question before but there was no response. So, i'll ask it again.
If I buy a drain cleaning chemical, and the clog is in the wall pipe, how should I get that chemical into the wall pipe if I don't have direct access to it?
Can I pour the product into the drain hole in the sink basin, add some water, and then use the air compressor to move the cleaner down to the clog?
It might only take 3 seconds of air compression to do it.
At least, i can blow the water down the drain, so I know it's not completely clogged. With using the air compressor, the sink is somewhat functional. I am not panicking - but it's a pain in the butt having the Kirby, on the counter, beside the sink.

Any suggestions on this, or other inexpensive methods?
Buying a snake is not what I want to do just yet. That snake will cost more than I am willing to spend (at this point in time).
Thanks to all, for any advice.
Robbie

Robbie_d

Reaction score
Reach,
I've responded to you already. I have to re-ask my question so that others might see the last post where my question is.

I had asked this question before but there was no response. So, i'll ask it again.
If I buy a drain cleaning chemical, and the clog is in the wall pipe, how should I get that chemical into the wall pipe if I don't have direct access to it?
Can I pour the product into the drain hole in the sink basin, add some water, and then use the air compressor to move the cleaner down to the clog?
It might only take 3 seconds of air compression to do it.
At least, i can blow the water down the drain, so I know it's not completely clogged. With using the air compressor, the sink is somewhat functional. I am not panicking - but it's a pain in the butt having the Kirby, on the counter, beside the sink.

Any suggestions on this, or other inexpensive methods?
Buying a snake is not what I want to do just yet. That snake will cost more than I am willing to spend (at this point in time).

Thanks to all, for any advice.
Robbie

Robbie_d

Reaction score
The kitchen sink is still blocked.

I did buy a 900 mL bottle of Pro-Strength Liquid Plumr (Full Clog Destroyer) and followed the directions on the label and did not exceed the (max) 30 minutes.
I first emptied the pipe by blowing the water with the air compressor only for 6 seconds.
Then i poured half the bottle into the dry drain and again used the compressor for only 3 seconds, to get the Plumr into the wall pipe and i waited 30 minutes. I then poured hot water. Still clogged.
I poured the other half bottle and did the same thing.
It empties just a little bit faster, now, but the sink is still not working right, at all. I still have to use the compressor to empty the water from the pipe.

I saw a few videos on youtube where the sink was totally clogged with only standing water.
I mean, i waited so long for a response from the forum for my last question, i had to go back and check things out on youtube.

One guy had a totally clogged sink of standing water and he ended up pouring in the whole bottle of Drano Max Gel and ended up letting it sit there for three hours (because it would not drain).
He didn't sound too worried about exceeding the 30 minute maximum working time, marked on the label.
Although the label said, "Use only for a maximum 30 minutes" and also said, "Do not to use with a plunger", he did use a plunger, and that (after the three-hour Drano-soak) finally cleared the drain.

Why do they say do not use plunger? Is it because the company is afraid it might spray up into the client's face while plunging?

I am considering doing the same as that guy on youtube did, as the cost of another bottle would bring my total cost of chemicals to $3.50 + $4.75 + $9.50 = $17.75 which is still MUCH less expensive than buying a quality snake - which will only take up space in my tiny apartment.

Robbie_d

Reaction score
Hi,

When I was using the (sink) plunger, as I wrote before in my first few posts, I didn't mention that the rubber suction-cup piece had cracked. I had to throw it away.
I had decided that buying a new one wasn't going to work, seeing as I had tried and tried plunging.
AND I was using the air compressor to blow the water down the drain, anyway, so I didn't think I needed a plunger for that clog.

Anyway, I just got back from Canadian Tire several hours ago.
I bought a new plunger, the type used for the toilet. I bought it only because I needed to replace the old one I had which broke.
I, also, bought a can of Drano crystals.
The directions on the can says to remove all standing water from the sink and trap.

But seeing as I was planning to use the air compressor to blow the DRY crystals into the wall pipe by placing a heaping tablespoon of crystals into the cleanout hole in the horizontal pipe, and then blow it into the wall with the air compressor, I thought it would be best to dry the pipe-insides completely, so that the crystals would not touch any water in the pipe and not reach the clog in the wall.

I blew the air compressor through the drain in the sink as shown in one of the photos I've provided earlier, to clear away the standing water.
Then, I removed the cap from the cleanout, on the horizontal pipe, and I placed the air compressor hose (without the accessory I used) into the cleanout hole.
I placed a hair dryer where the machine sucks in air so warm air would evaporate any water droplets remaining in the pipe. Oh, and I used a damp cloth as a make-shift gasket so that no air would escape from the cleanout hole on the horizontal pipe and let it blow warm air into the pie for about 30 minutes (to be sure).
I put the stopper into the sink drain,
It worked well. The pipe was dry inside.

I broke the little tab on the Drano can and was just about to add some into the cleanout on the horizontal cleanout - but then, I decided that there might still be some residue in the pipes or in the clog itself from the Drano Max Gel I had tried on Thursday.
I didn't want to mix chemicals, so, I replaced the cleanout cap and I boiled more water and poured it down the drain, thinking I was going to rinse out the pipe for another week just to be sure there was no residue, whatsoever, left over.

As I filled up the sink with hot water again, I looked over at the new plunger I had just bought.
I thought, "Let's give it a try." just out of curiosity.
Well, the toilet-plunger, with the extra "dome" on the suction-cup, gave me much more suction than the sink-plunger I had, as the suction-cup is larger than on a regular sink-plunger.

Guess what? The sink-full of water cleared normally after only a few plunges with the toilet-plunger.
Problem: Completely solved.

But now, I have an opened, unused can of Drano crystals.

Tomorrow, I will go back to Canadian Tire and put my can back on the shelf and take a new can of Drano, and go to the counter and ask for a refund for the cost of the product.
Sneaky, I know, but hey, I didn't use any of it.
I know I can't prove it was unused, at the return-counter, if the person checks the seal and sees it gone.

So I would, now, like to suggest to anyone who responds to a thread like mine, in the future, to SUGGEST TO THE PERSON ASKING FOR HELP - TO MAKE SURE THEY USE A TOILET PLUNGER INSTEAD OF A SINK PLUNGER before suggesting to the person to go out and buy (or rent) a 25 foot electric auger (snake) or other things like a bladder and garden hose.

My problem possibly "could have" been solved much sooner if I had checked my sink-plunger for cracks in the rubber, first, and, if I would have tried a toilet-plunger instead of a sink-plunger, because it has a larger cup offering more suction.
It would have been helpful if one of you guys had suggested that instead.

So that is my contribution to this forum, in addition to the other things I tried with the air compressor to empty the sink and the pipes.

If it wasn't for reversing the hose on my vacuum cleaner to have an air compressor, i would have been scooping water out of my sink, or worse, not being able to use it at all, for two weeks.
I was able to stall for time by using my Kirby vacuum cleaner as a compressor.

I was, actually, looking into renting a 25' snake as Masterplumb777 had suggested. But I don't use credit cards, so I couldn't secure the rental.
And then, I was thinking of reluctantly buying a 50' snake ( just to be sure) which i probably would have used only one time.
But I see, now, that his advice was...what are the words that I want to use, here?...uhmm... maybe "not innovative or resourceful enough" would complete my sentence - as he deals with clogged drain problems like a plumber does as he already has the necessary tools on hand. So for him, it's a simple case of going to his toolbox and using what he has. That's great if you have it all on hand.
I do not.

When someone like me, however says, "I don't want to spend the money", on tea leaves, and then I hear suggestions that suggest I should "stop pussyfooting around" and go out and spend the money ANYWAY, it doesn't inspire me.
When I said that i didn't want to spend too much money on a snake, or bladder with a garden hose, the advice from the forum members ceased being offered to me.
It felt as if just because I wasn't accepting the advice of people in-the-know, that the members may have considered me unworthy of any more advice. I was quite disappointed by that.

Anyway, I want to thank the three members for their advice, even though I didn't follow much of it because it all involved me spending money I didn't want to spend.
The one, helpful member named, Reach, who claims that he is NOT a plumber offered many great ideas while the actual two "plumbers" sounded a bit condescending.
I got the impression they wanted something (money) for any further advice once they offered their pieces of advice. They didn't ask for money but when a pro steps in to offer a tidbit of advice and then just stops offering, it causes a person who feels stranded to start wondering,
'What do I have to do or say to get more (or different) advice. Why aren't they answering my questions?'

Maybe the chemicals on which I'd spent about $8.00 DID loosen up the clog and all I needed was a better plunger to loosen the clog so that it could move down?
Maybe all I needed to clear the drain from the start was simply a better plunger without the chemicals?
It's difficult to say.
But, the new plunger was around $9.00 with tax included.
A 25' electric auger, or a bladder and garden hose (which I don't have or need as I live in an apartment) either by renting or buying. costs way more than the $17.00 I've spent.

I am not angry at anyone - only myself.

I am just thankful that I was resourceful enough to get by until now and ending up finding out WHAT I had to do - instead of following the costly advice I was offered here.

If i don't return, I want to extend my sincere thanks to all who took the time to comment.
AND I wish you all, the entire forum, a very Merry Christmas and a very peaceful and Happy New Year.

(Feeling thankful)
Robbie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks