Loose Fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

nelll99

Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to fixy my hot tub plumbing. I need a part fits into a 2-1/8" ID manifold opening. I have a 2' inside fit coupler, but it is seems loose (probably 1/16" to small). I do have a barbed inside fit coupler that fits snug, but what is the rule for using barbed couplers in rigid piping? Thank for the help!

nelll99

Reaction score
You cannot because you cannot "squeeze" the rigid piping to seal to the barb. I do not know what you mean by an "inside fit coupling".
Its a coupler that fits inside the pipe instead of outside (which is more standard)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They have LIMITED usefulness, because only the OUTSIDE diameter of the pipe is standard. The I.D. varies according to the wall thickness, thus ANY "internal coupling" would have to be usable with only ONE grade of piping, and obviously NOT the grade you are using.

nelll99

Reaction score
Yes i get that. Thank you. I still need to connect a 2" Sch.40 pipe to my manifold. The ID of the manifold is 2-1/8" (this is NOT graded pipe, it is a special manifold in a hottub). Obviously not a standard grade. Any suggestions would be great.

My original question was how much of a gap can you (if any) allow between a fitting and pipe to ensure the glue works properly? I was also wondering if a barbed fitting would glue properly since it does have an interference fit with my manifold. Perhaps I did not phrase it correctly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is probably "thinwall" 2" sch. 100 PVC. They do NOT make "ungraded pipe for hot tub manifolds". The 2" sch 40 pipe has to go INTO the manifold, not connect to a broken pipe in the manifold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks