Loop for Dishwasher Drain Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
lpennington said:
I ended up looping the dishwasher hose from directly where it exits the disposal into an upside-down "U" for approx 10 inches and then it goes down into the dishwasher.

I filled the sink with soapy water and then drained it with the disposal on and no water made it up and around the "U". I'll let you know what our plumbers say (a Lowes installer coincidentally installed this dishwasher!).

Dirty water can still make it past your upside down "U" if you have a sink backup that goes up to the rim of your sink. If that ever happens, and you have dishes in the dishwasher, you will need to run the dishwasher again after you've cleared the drain.

RE not removing the DW drain plug: If you ran a dishwasher with that thing still in there, the DW will fill up with water, and having nowhere to drain it, you'll probably flood out the kitchen.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Pretty much what I figured, and why I thought Palm wasn't making sense. And if you look at the pic, the problems pretty obvious?

Rugged - your mention of commercial kitchens got me thinking... even the sinks in a commercial kitchen (or a bar) have an air gap*, but I've never seen one in a residential kitchen sink... never seen a grease trap in residential work, either.

Are you saying there ought to be air gaps & grease traps in residential kitchens?

*around here, anyways... the tailpipe ends a few inches under the sink, and there's a big cone underneath to receive the water.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
frenchie said:
Rugged - your mention of commercial kitchens got me thinking... even the sinks in a commercial kitchen (or a bar) have an air gap*, but I've never seen one in a residential kitchen sink... never seen a grease trap in residential work, either.

Are you saying there ought to be air gaps & grease traps in residential kitchens?

*around here, anyways... the tailpipe ends a few inches under the sink, and there's a big cone underneath to receive the water.

I'd say that every fixture is protected by an air gap. There are differant standard between commercial and residential. Restaraunts are serving the general public and need to protect them. I don't recall any previous talk of grease traps.

If it could be regulated and controled that residentials had both prep and dish washing sinks like commercial kitchens then great:D Grease traps also, more work for me. Let's put in an interceptor for each house also.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The forgotten plug

The September Fine Homebuilding had a short article on replacing a garbage disposal. They neglected to mention the plug in the disposer inlet. Maybe that should be red-tagged at the factory or something.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
My ears are red

And I made more than one person furious today. I came in and corrected that fiasco under the sink today and the customer called lowes on the spot.

I talked to:

Store manager

Sales Manager

Hung up on the installer :D

I was dealing cards fast and furious and let them know what they did was wrong. I tried being reasonable until they started lying and then I let them have it.

Gave them the statute of the code book that was violated. Between two calls my bill was over $250, given their install charge was only $130 so someone is eating part of the cost of that dishwasher as well. Of course, I added a little for the customer for their distress and lost time using their dishwasher.

The sales manager said they will fight because they weren't given a chance to fix the problem. I told them that the customer fired you the moment he heard your contractor did it wrong, lied about the air gap and on top of it all,

didn't even high loop it.

I told the sales manager that your weather forecast is going to be rough and windy, especially if I follow your contractors around town on a regular basis letting the plumbing inspectors how much bad work you're putting up.

The guy shut up right there and then, complied to the customer's request to be compensated for my charges and that my friends is how you do business with the big box. fishslap.gif

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yeah I was real cool about it initially as well....but then they threw in that it wasn't a big deal and that was worse than throwing a rock at a wasp nest with me.

The guy I was working for was hard core as well. He's driven like I am when it comes to protecting himself and others from bad customer service. I hope I'm going strong like him at 73 too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks