Looking to validate sewer design options

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Gonz, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Gonz

Gonz New Member

Hello, I am really appreciative for the info in this forum as it has helped me in the past. Now with more DIY experience am planning on adding a bathroom to a detached garage. I have read quite a bit about it and came up with a couple of designs, moving the sink vs the toilet, to cover the sewer and venting. The bathroom is 5'x5' and will have an enclosed shower stall. Will any of the options be up to code or am I over my head for a DIYer? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

PS in any turns I know to use 2 45s or 90 sweeps also not using san-tees other than in the vent... I learned that from this forum :) - this is not my first bathroom remodel

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    In the second one the shower is NOT vented. In both of them that "vent" to the left is useless.

Gonz likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Gonz likes this.
  4. Gonz

Gonz New Member

Thanks hj, I was thinking of combining the vents to go out so both won't go up. I'm guessing that that is why you are saying is useless? Also will the "option 1" be ok? Thank you!

5. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

I understand Oregon uses the UPC.

In option 2, the dry vented lav would have to join the shower first, then the separately vented WC could join in downstream of that. That allows the lav to wet vent the shower. The 2" shower trap arm is limited to 60" in the UPC. The vent takeoff for the WC would need to be a wye rolled up with another elbow to go horizontal under the slab at a higher elevation than the WC drain.

Option 1 is fine, and you can delete the left hand vent. The WC is wet vented by the lav, just like the shower is.

Cheers, Wayne

Gonz likes this.
  6. Gonz

Gonz New Member

Thanks Wayne!