Looking For Recommendation For Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

yzfr1rider

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum regarding water softeners and I am looking to install one myself in our house. We have 5 people in the house (2 adults and 3 children) and 3 full baths. The main water line in the house is 3/4". I purchased a Hach 5-B kit and our water tested out at 11gpg. Here is a link to the latest water test for our area. www.ilccr.com/stjacob.pdf Based on what I have been reading it looks like I would probably need a 1.5ft3 unit with a 10x54" tank and a control head with 3/4" fittings. Would a 5600SXT work or is it worthwhile to step up to a 5800SXT. What would you recommend for a water softener setup?

Reach4

Reaction score
A softener with 2 cuft of resin would be a better size for you 5.

Regarding 5600sxt vs 5800sxt, I am not sure. The 5800sxt fills the brine tank with soft water, which will let the brine tank go longer between cleanings. I think 5600sxt would handle power glitches better. I have a UPS on my 5800sxt.

yzfr1rider

Reaction score
Do you think it is worthwhile to step up to Purolite C100E 8% resin over standard NSF approved 8% resin?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it is important that you use 10% crosslinked resin with your chloromine-treated water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Definitely the 5800 over the 5600. The simplicity of the 5800, fewer parts, high speed drive, higher flow rates, and greatly improved design make it an excellent modern valve. Be wary of most online resellers. Stay away from the low price leaders, they usually sacrifice several important quality components in order to be the lowest price.

yzfr1rider

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I read that the 5800 series are dealer only. Do you know of a dealer near the St. Louis area that carries fleck? I'm on the illinois side of the river but not far away. If not do you recommend any online companies that can sell the 5800 series and would ship?

Last edited:

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
Take a look at UXC- 1252. It has 10% crosslinked resin, a 2.0 cu.ft resin bed and a 5810 XTR2 control head. It comes with 1" MNPT inlet/outlet, but I'm sure you can ask for 3/4".

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, how is it one of the most efficient? Fleck and Clack are both excellent products and I am not real partial to one over the other but since both have extremely good reserve capacity algorithms, and both are fully programmable in every cycle, I would say that they are equally efficient. It comes down to quality and availability. If you have a local dealer that you trust and he uses either, then you should do fine. I would definitely recommend against any of the cheap knock offs or even counterfeits, which are very prevalent online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks