Looking for push button timer shower rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I ran into a timed shower shutoff in Germany. It used tokens.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could probably cobble something together that would work, but it would probably lack plumbing approvals and a UL listing, making it somewhat of a mute point. Something like maybe a boiler zone valve controlled by a timer using low-voltage controls. You'd need an access panel to provide maintenance, and some shower valves do not work properly if you 'cap' the shower arm. Trying to control both the hot and cold feeds could lead to an unsafe situation where they both didn't operate at the same time and you either got all hot or all cold, neither of which is particularly good. A zone valve might work better than say solenoids, because it would close slower...otherwise, you'd also have to deal with potential water hammer.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is more than one that build a timer into the showerhead. Google "shower timer".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There is more than one that build a timer into the showerhead.

That is the WORST way to do it. That would create a "cross connection" between the hot and cold lines, because with no water flowing the user would NOT turn off the hot and cold valves, and then you would be coming here to ask why the hot and cold water lines change temperature.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe I worded this wrong. It's not a button. But you push it and shower runs for a certain amount of time. Then you have to push it again. It's for a ice rink. There's 40 showers. Vandel proof shower heads to. People are leaving the water running. I know they exsist. But I don't know what they r called.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use a solenoid valve with a timer. Similar to what is used in a dishwasher. There are process timers that are designed to do similar type things.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I haven't seen one, but I wonder if someone makes a motion sensing (or IR) controlled valve such that it would only run when someone was standing there? It wouldn't be a timer per se, but would prevent someone from leaving things running. I know they make vanity faucets like that...haven't seen one for a shower.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the point is to avoid somebody turning on 40 showers and leaving... like pressing all of the elevator buttons but with more negative impact.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can set an irrigation valve to run for 5 minutes, so it is do able. If you only had one valve you would need back flow preventers in the hot and cold water lines or you could have a cross flow when the timer closes the solenoid valve.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I think the point is to avoid somebody turning on 40 showers and leaving... like pressing all of the elevator buttons but with more negative impact.

Having worked in a large airport - I can tell you that's why we use those automatic faucets that shut off just as you barely get a splash of water on your hands. :D

BTW - modern public-use elevators have a "load weighing anti-nuisance" feature. You can't push all the call buttons at the same time unless the cab is full of people. http://www.mceinc.com/products/specs/section_9.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks