Looking for opinions on this softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Smith

Reaction score
Came across this system. I won't link it due to not knowing forum rules.

System is claiming a "9 stage" with 16% cross-link Macroporous resin.

Saw a thread on this site a few down about a system claiming the same but turned out to be false.

I know it will be "overkill" for my needs but just wondering what others thought of it.

DM me and I'll provide a link to it

EAJ

Reaction score
What's the link for the system, I'm curious as to what the claims are on the unit.

EAJ

Reaction score
I mean, 16% resin is usually an industrial grade, not necessary for residential.

EAJ

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of bells and whistles, overkill in my opinion. It's better to address known/present contaminants than throw the kitchen sink at it. Just my opinion though, there are many others on here who are more learned than I. Still stumped on the 16%CL :)

Bannerman

Reaction score
While some different media may be combined in one tank, other media should not be combined with anything else. It seems they think by including a small quantity of each media, they are providing a system that will be capable of treating a wide variety of water conditions but in reality, it is a system that won't do anything very well.

There are two In/Out tanks which contain media such as KDF55 that requires vigorous and frequent backwashing for it to continue working. Without appropriate backwashing, many media will either turn into a lump of concrete or, channels will be carved so the usual water flow will follow those channel paths and so will have insufficient contact with the media for the media to be of benefit.

Is your water source municipal or a private well? If private well, post a recent comprehensive lab test report as we need to view the actual water conditions so as to determine appropriate treatment methods and quantity of media needed for those conditions.

Jeff Smith

Reaction score
While some different media may be combined in one tank, other media should not be combined with anything else. It seems they think by including a small quantity of each media, they are providing a system that will be capable of treating a wide variety of water conditions but in reality, it is a system that won't do anything very well.

There are two In/Out tanks which contain media such as KDF55 that requires vigorous and frequent backwashing for it to continue working. Without appropriate backwashing, many media will either turn into a lump of concrete or, channels will be carved so the usual water flow will follow those channel paths and so will have insufficient contact with the media for the media to be of benefit.

Is your water source municipal or a private well? If private well, post a recent comprehensive lab test report as we need to view the actual water conditions so as to determine appropriate treatment methods and quantity of media needed for those conditions.

I live in Las Vegas and use municipal water

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
The backwash rates required for KDF vs carbon vary greatly. Under no circumstances would I combine them in the same tank. mixing medias in that way is generally frowned upon. How bad is your municipal supply that you need KDF or catalytic carbon?Do you have a water quality report from your municipality?

Reach4

Reaction score
The backwash rates required for KDF vs carbon vary greatly. Under no circumstances would I combine them in the same tank. that's my opinion.
Water pro: consider MediaGuard where a given gpm will produce different gpm/sqft. I am not saying that MediaGuard has no problems, but it can give different backwash rates (but not different backwash frequency).

Jeff: The carbon tank can remove chlorine or chloromine, plus organic chemicals. I don't know how well KDF does stuff.

Last edited:

Skyjumper

Reaction score
my guess is you'd get 2 tanks full of gravel, or maybe Filter AG, and then a normal softener with 8% resin. since a regular softener is all you need on city water you will have nice water and not know that they didn't fill those other tanks with all that stuff.

and why would you want to remove flouride? I'm looking for ways to add it so my kids teeth don't rot.

question for others here -- do they really expect all those different media to stay separated? if they all mix together, which seems likely, will they still do what they are intended to do?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Activated alumina has a very finite life expectancy for fluoride reduction, Las Vegas water has very low levels to begin with. Anion resin... really? This is a marketing and kitchen sink approach, I would avoid anything this gimmicky. I will send you a PM... some things should not be said in an open forum.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water pro: consider MediaGuard where a given gpm will produce different gpm/sqft. I am not saying that MediaGuard has no problems, but it can give different backwash rates (but not different backwash frequency).

Jeff: The carbon tank can remove chlorine or chloromine, plus organic chemicals. I don't know how well KDF does stuff.
seems interesting, but I'm kind of old school. I like to tackle a problem one step (or piece) at a time. when I worked for "C", they had a system called a "total home". it was essentially cation resin + carbon + KDF. The boss (who had 38 yrs in the business) had nothing but bad things to say about it, and that it didn't work long-term. He said most people's flow rates where not enough to allow the KDF to lift, and that resin and carbon had such different backwash rates that the whole thing was pointless. The salesman sold them all the time though. Every time we had to load one he would get visibly upset. lol

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Totally agree... silly designs... but I manufacture equipment how people order them... so long as they are not dangerous... marketing is funny sometimes.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Totally agree... silly designs... but I manufacture equipment how people order them... so long as they are not dangerous... marketing is funny sometimes.
yup. people want what they want. sometimes there's no convincing them otherwise. drives me nuts. lol

Jeff Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to look at this and provide me with information. It appears I have a little more homework to do.

Holan

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, I also live in Vegas. I also shopped around for water softeners and it was stressful to say the least. The seller that you mentioned was really aggressive and would call me at 10PM at night (this was in April 2020).

Anyways, my research on macro-porous resin is that it is unnecessary for municipal water and actually supposed to use more salt. We have chlorine in Vegas but check out the reports and do your own test, it's not as high to warrant macro-porous resin and if you us carbon to filter out the chlorine before it goes into the softener, then you wouldn't have to worry to begin with.

Jason is a really smooth talker, but after going back and forth. I realized what some of what he said wasn't true. I think the main being that you use less salt with macroporous resin and his expertise on other mediums on anion and KDF. I was going to write a bad review on Yelp last year, but I actually was afraid to. Towards the end of my shopping around, I gave him the courtesy to let him know I was going to someone else. He then dropped his system another $500-1000 I don't remember. But maybe it was because of the pandemic. Then when I told him no again, he'd ask why. HE started to berate me and my decisions. (He also critcizes these DIY forums, which I've brought up)

I will say in terms of sales and followup, Jason is always first to call and followup and some of the other companies take a while to respond or it just seems like they aren't as hungry for business... but overall there are at least 4 other companies I'd choose before Clear Water Technologies.
After getting my softener else where, some of the stuff he said simply wasn't true (like my water pressure would be bad if I went with another company).

In short, after hours and hours of research, I called him out on a few inaccuracies. I'm, sure he's gotten better now, looking his has 32 positive reviews on yelp.

Overall all the water softener people in vegas use Clack Valves. Most use 10% crosslink resin except fro ClearWater which uses 16% Macroporous Gel.

Next is the extras. If you want to get a carbon to take out the chlorine. it should not be mixed with the resin. This is either seperated in a seperate tank, or a tank on top of a tank, or the vortex system. Then there are additional "Stages" which is marketing for different mediums.

Anion resin I learned may not be necessary for Vegas municipal water and since it is another medium, may cause more hassle in the long run. People just started adding more and more "stages" and mediums or more expensive mediums (eg catalytic carbon) to compete themselves with others.

Also costs involved, you don't see then actually pour out the mediums in the tanks. I don't know if this helps but I hope it does.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks