Looking for high flow shower/tub fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

bobinmadison

Reaction score
Hi,
I am installing a tile flanged 3'x6' Kohler Archer soaking tub (78gal) that will also be used as a shower. I would like to find a shower/tub fixture that has a high enough flow rate to fill the tub in a reasonable amount of time. Seems most shower/tub fixtures have a relatively low flow rate while the higher flow soaking tub faucets don't have a shower option (or have to be deck mounted, which I can't do). Anybody know of a fixture that would work? Any suggestions appreciated. thanks, bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no restriction from the government on the flow rate of a tub filler, only on showerheads, and those typically have that restrictor built into them, not in the supply valve. For maximum flow rate, larger supply pipes and valves can make a difference. Nearly all manufacturers list the max flow rates (at a nominal water pressure - if you have higher, you'll get more, lower, less). A 3/4" or 1" supply line and valve will give proportionally more flow rates.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
This ¾ inch Kohler valve fills the tub at 17.2 gpm and up to 14.9 gpm to the shower:
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Masters...691&pageName=globalSearch&&_requestid=1365214

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-M...tops-K-2976-KS-NA/203782809?keyword=K-2976-KS

k-2976-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
One thing people do not consider is the drain rate. This to me is more important. When I built my daughter's bathroom I used a 2" trap and drain line. It is the fasted draining tub I have ever seen.

You might want to check out Hudson Reed and track down Dan there. He can help you select one of his tub fillers that might work for you.

What size supply lines do you have?

Dan's email is: Dan Gillen <Dan.Gillen@Hudsonreed.com>

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You also need a large hot water heater with a fast recovery rate or multiple instant hot water heaters.

bobinmadison

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I haven't installed supply, but will go with 3/4". I have an 80 gal water heater via my boiler with a fast recovery time, so hot water shouldn't be a problem. The 2" drain is a good idea.

The Kohler Master valve should work though its pricey. To use it do I then have to purchase a cover plate/handle and shower head separately? How do I determine compatibility? thanks, bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most companies make valves in both 1/2" and 3/4" supplies. TO see what their max flow rates are, you have to read their spec sheets, which sometimes are hard to find. IMHO, Kohler makes some pretty stuff, but most of it is almost a one-off...IOW, finding parts for it eventually can be problematic locally - you'll probably need to order them direct from Kohler and wait, maybe weeks or longer since they may need to make it - their parts book is more like a phone book -you better keep the instructions with the parts list. They're infected with not invented here syndrome and change things just for the sake of changing them based on their latest whim. This is in contrast with most others out there which have a 'stock' guts, and then customize the trim and finishes, and as a result, you can get repair parts easily, locally, and at less costs, usually locally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks