Looking for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Twin20

Reaction score
Recently, my pipes froze and after thawing and repairing the obvious damage (cracked pipes), I got the water running again. After two days, no water again. Looking at the pressure switch, I saw that the contacts were bit scorched so I replaced with the same exact switch but no luck, still no water. I noticed that when the contacts on the switch meet when trying to start it, there is no "electrical spark" like there was before. I could have sworn that I wired it up the same exact way. I have a volt meter with no idea how to use it so I'm not sure where the problem is. I am hoping it isn't the pump with my limited funds at the moment......Please Help.

R

Rancher

Twin20 said:
I have a volt meter with no idea how to use it so I'm not sure where the problem is.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16767_voltmeter.html

Set the meter switch to read AC Volts, set the scale to probably 1,000, use the probes first in your house in an outlet to experiment, then try it on the wires that go to your pressure switch, you should be able to determine which wires go to your pump and which ones come from your breaker panel.

Have you checked to see if the circuit breaker is popped?

What kind of pump:
1. Above ground
2. Submersible (in the well)

Rancher

Twin20

Reaction score
I have a submersible pump. I checked the breakers. The volt meter I have is a multimeter with about 20 settings and no instructions:mad: .

R

Rancher

Twin20 said:
I have a submersible pump.
Hey, that's a start, does it have an above ground control box?
Twin20 said:
I checked the breakers. The volt meter I have is a multimeter with about 20 settings and no instructions:mad: .
Look up the brand name and find the operating instructions on the web. Is it a digital multimeter?

Multimeter only means it also reads resistance (ohms) and current (amps) most all do...

What model is it?

Rancher

Twin20

Reaction score
There is no control box, just an electrical line going from pump to the pressure switch.

I have a General Electric Digital Multimeter, model GE 2524....

R

Rancher

I can't find an operations manual anywhere on the net, all I get is P O R N sites... Have you figured it out yet?

Rancher

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'm thinking that maybe you should call in a pro to check this out.
Electricity is nothing to mess around with if you don't understand how to use a multimeter. Calling in someone might save a lot of frustration, too.
Ron

Twin20

Reaction score
I got a simple volt "go no-go" type meter to check it with. The breaker was fine, the power to the pressure switch is fine but when I check the power lines to the well pump I got nothing. Does that mean power is not getting to the pump or could the pump be bad? I'd rather it be the first as the second part gets costly. Thanks in advance for any feedback....

R

Rancher

Are the pump contacts closing? On the pressure switch

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin20

Reaction score
With the contacts closing, there is power when testing the lines on the switch. Unfortunately it sounds like the pump, do you agree?

R

Rancher

I think Pumpman is right, time to call in a professional. Smile at him a lot and maybe some chocolate chip cookies would help.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks