Looking for help with well

Users who are viewing this thread

Rpl0811

Reaction score
Specs. Well 605 ft, static level 50 feet, age of well 21 years. Drop pipe - PVC sits at 560.

We recently lost water, call around for well company no one was available for weeks, so we took it upon ourselves. Started with the breaker, then pressure switch, inspected the expansion tank, which was good. Pulled the well( yes horrible) replaced the pump, dropped everything back in. We have water at the pitless adapter, connected that back. When doing so the adapter slipped and I lost everything, fished it out pulled the wire , safety rope by hand till we got to the pipe and reconnected safely. Still no water. I was worried when I lost everything down the well something broke...so I pulled everything again... Nothing broke but I noticed that the drop pipe has calcium build up in the inside, I tried to clean it as best as possible all 580 feet of PVC, reconnected everything. We now have water but the flow is horrible. Any suggestions would be helpful, I am at my wits end.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Did you replace with the exact same size pump? Did you inspect the pump after dropping to make sure it didn't get packed full of mud? A clip around amp meter is the best tool you can have to figure out the problem.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Amp the pump. Measure discharge pressure dead headed ( valve closed). With these two readings will check the performance of the pump with a pump curve. Might need to contact manufacturer for detailed curve. With corrosion in piping could raise the head and change the performance.

Reach4

Reaction score
When doing so the adapter slipped and I lost everything Sorry for the stress. And sorry for being a Monday morning quarterback, but the pipe that lifts the pitless out normally has a tee-handle, which prevents the pipe from falling down the casing.

What pump did you put in as the new pump?
How far down do you think the water static level is? When you first pulled the pipe, there probably would have been a change in appearance at the water line.

You are getting great advice. Measuring the deadhead pressure is going to be informative. Partial blockage in the drop pipe will not affect that dead head pressure measurement.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
when you had all the pvc out of the bore, maybe you could have tested it to see if it held a vacuum for a few hours? HVAC vac pump and gauge on end, and plug the other. Maybe I missed it in another post, but is it possbile that your pump is pumping all its might into many pinhole leaks that ultimately just refill your well casing without pressurizing your house supply line?
My thinking is that if all that pvc holds vaccuum for a few hours, its not leaking. If it doesn't, the pvc is your pressure thief somewhere along its rise.

Fitter30

Reaction score
At the pump should have a check. Run the pump all valve closed does the pressure go down fast or slow? Haven't mentioned if there is a time delay to get water pressure after pressure switch closes? What size pipe and is it schedule 80 or 120.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks