Looking for feedback on a water system redesign

Users who are viewing this thread

gentoo

Reaction score
We are going to be moving the water heater, furnace and laundry from the garage to a new utility space and new laundry room. I did some searching around and I was inspired by this thread to design a hot/cold fresh water system for our house (.pdf attached). This system will feature supply manifolds for primary distribution and service manifolds for local distribution.

The supply manifolds are all specified to be 1-1/4" header with 1" inlet, 1" passthrough and 3/4" outlets. The only exception to this general construct will be the cold water supply manifold in the utility room. It will also have a 1" outlet for the hot water heater. The service manifolds are all specified to be 1" header with 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlets. The only exception to this general construct will be the hot water service manifolds that will have recirculation will be outfitted with a 3/4" outlet. The recirculation manifold are specified to be 3/4" inlets and a 1" outlet.

Like other posters to this forum, I'd like feedback on the pros and cons, plusses and minuses, genius and lunacy of this proposal. All input, except for ad hominem attacks are valid and valuable.

Attachments

• 050721 fresh water circuit layout to post for questions- 050721.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 145

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good enough.. tho unless you recirc through each of the branches, you'll get a very limited return. Whatever the the far end manifold will get great recirc, everything else will be as close as it ties into the loop.

gentoo

Reaction score
Looks good enough.. tho unless you recirc through each of the branches, you'll get a very limited return. Whatever the the far end manifold will get great recirc, everything else will be as close as it ties into the loop.

If I understand what you're calling out, then you are correct. I am planning on using one of the ACT, Inc. D'MAND Kontrols Systems pumps at each recirculation point. They have a thermocouple in the pump and recirculation stops when hot water reaches the pump, which sits on (or just past) the end of the hot water service manifold. A switch (momentary type or occupancy sensor) will trigger the pumps. Each of them will only move about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons of water before they shut down.

The two goals of the system are to decrease the time to temperature at the fixture for uses of hot water, and to conserve fresh water by not dumping it down the drain. A tertiary achievement is energy conservation because the system is not constantly recirculating, nor is it recirculating the entire system unnecessarily.

Thanks for your input, and let me know if I misunderstood your feedback.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks