Looking for Faucet Supply Tubes for old A.S. Stop Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Jvstevens

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was replacing a kitchen faucet, and I decided to replace the hot and cold supply tubes. However, none of the standard sizes (3/8" comp, 7/16" comp, 1/2" comp, 1/2" FIP) available at my local hardware store would thread onto the stop valve (which was original to the building, built in the early 1950's). So, I went to my local plumbing shop and the guy knew right away that I was dealing with an old style American Standard stop valve (has a big daisy wheel looking handle), which has its own unique thread (he told me it was a 5/8" flare style thread, which I remember seemed kind of weird to me). He had the supply tubes in stock, and sure enough, they threaded on perfectly. Now I'm in need of the same supply tubes for the bathroom faucet, but that great little plumbing shop just closed for good last month, and I haven't been able to find these supply tubes online. Part of the problem, maybe, is that I'm not really sure of the exact search term I should be using for these. Does anyone know the supply tubes I'm referring to, and where I can find them online? Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
picture please, because your description is no help. I have never seen supply valves with a 5//8" flare connection. It is more likely a 1/2" ips size.

Jvstevens

Reaction score
picture please, because your description is no help. I have never seen supply valves with a 5//8" flare connection. It is more likely a 1/2" ips size.

Didn't have any luck finding it online, but found a local hole-in-the-wall plumbing shop that I never knew existed that had them in stock. Here's a picture of the main label and of the American Standard unique nut at the end of the supply tube. The A.S. nut does not fit 1/2" IPS or 1/2" compression male threads that I have on hand. I don't have any 5/8" flare fittings on me, so I can't verify for sure that that is what the thread is.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 216

Jvstevens

Reaction score
In 65+ years, I have NEVER seen an American Standard faucet with that thread, so I do not know when they were used.
Just to be clear, its the American Standard stop valve that has the unique thread, not the American Standard faucets. As far as i know, the American Standard faucets have always used the standard 1/2" IPS threads. I've only seen this particular stop valve used in one building that has remained largely unmodified since it was built (around 1952, as I recall).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks