Looking for best toilet for under 300 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

joe

Reaction score
Looking to purchasing 3 new toilets for my new (certified used) home :D

I was at Lowe's and Home Depot and checking out these two toilets. Trying to keep my budget to under 300 per toilet.

Champion Toilet

Cimarron Comfort Height

Also, does anybody have experience on this one?
Briggs Vacuity 4200

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've used all three in my home.
Champion bowl "depth" could be better. If the fill tube is positioned between the two lines on the flush valve you do get more water in the bowl.
It's very heavy. The ADA version may not fit under the hand rails. (made in Mexico)
If the new flush valve will last longer than 12 months there may be some happy people out there.

The first version of the flush valve had problems. This is a very new model so it's hard to say if they got it right. The first I had heard of it was August 2003. Mine was installed in Winter of 2004.

Cimarron flushes well, though some of the early bowls had poor bowl rinse. Keep a brush handy with this one. (made in Mexico)
In 2011 they redesigned the rinsing, so the newer ones are fine in that regard.

Vacuity will leave particles in the bottom of the bowl often. They have had some problems with plugging. I gave mine to my brother for his cabin, but he wound up throwing it away after a few months.

Toto Drake, the one that the Champion and Cimarron is modeled on is still the best. You won't find it at the home center, though many plumbers have them. The basic design is over 10 years old now, it first started with the Ultimate, and then an upgrade to the Ultramax.
Of these I'm selling hundreds a year, many to the same customers and to their friends. I get a lot of calls when they move to newer homes. (made in various places, Atlanta GA, Japan & China) They are the largest plumbing manufacturer in the world. They are the Lexus of plumbing.
Most repairs in the tank can be done quickly and without tools. The fill valve and flapper are made in the US by Lavelle/Korky.

This week I sold a Drake to someone that had tried the Vacuity, after his third probmatic Vacuity in the same bathroom he wanted to try something else.
Terry Love's consumer report on toilets

the shopping cart

Last edited:

Peter

Reaction score
I'm no expert nor do I play one on tv but I just bought a toto ultimate from Terry for under $300 and installed it in 20 minutes (it took me longer to go pick it up)--works like a charm. It's a clean looking one piece and it comes with a cool seat that doesn't slam shut. It's also relatively quiet. Another interesting tidbit is that the water doesn't swirl--it just seems to drop real fast. A neighbor bought the briggs vacuity a year ago and he had problems with the flush initially. The installer replaced the tank a couple of times and then he sealed the tank to the bottom with silicone caulk--said something about the vacuum. Now it works--at least he says it flushes. Too much work imo and hopefully he won't have to take it apart.
Terry Love's shopping cart

joe

Reaction score
I found several places here in Sacramento that sells the toilet. I'm sure if I went here, the shipping cost would be expensive for 3 toilets.

I have a few questions.
1. On the CEFIONTECT, I'm stuck on getting this one. Just curious on the pros and cons.
2. what's the difference between elongated and round?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1.CEFIONTECT, the pros are that you have a cleaner bowl. I don't think there are any cons there.
Trying to knock off the dried "whatever" can be a chore on some toilets.

2. elongated, more room for men, though many women prefer it too.
The bowl is 1.5" longer
I only have elongated bowls in my home.
If you even consider getting a bidet seat some day, you will want the elongated bowl.
round, what were they thinking 100 years ago? Were people just smaller then?
Or were they just glad the outhouse came inside?
If space is an issue, that would be the only reason to go with the round.

Last edited:

ks cowboy

Reaction score
I replaced the toilet in both of our bathrooms, two years ago. The older American Standard ones were not working well when grandchildren spent time in our home. After reading Terry's website, I chose the Toto Drake. Our plumbing business had never used these, but found a supplier for me. They look as good as a toilet can look, and the slow hinge on the seat eliminates any noisy lids closing. Talk about a fast flush, the Drake takes anything down in a flash. :)

HP

Reaction score
TOTO Drake

Joe,

Terry is right. The TOTO Drake is an outstanding toilet. It is the only two-piece toilet that TOTO makes with the G-Max flush (their best) and comes in around $300. The Drake also comes in an elongated model and, outside of space constraints, is a more comfortable bowl that is just as functional.
Hope this helps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Toto Vespin also is both 2-piece and has g-max. It is skirted, similar to several other models and also can be ordered (in 4-colors) with SanaGlos.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks