Looking for an articulating shower armature for a special purpose

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by pderas, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. pderas

    pderas New Member

    Aug 10, 2012
    South San Francisco, CA
    Hi Terry,

    I'm looking for an articulating shower arm for a disabled vet who is a double (leg) amputee.
    I'd like the articulating shower arm to be mounted on the rear wall of the shower and stand off the wall when extended so that it sprays on his head and body instead of toward the room. The shower space will be 30" wide, so I would need about a 15" extension.

    Is there such a thing?


    Peggy Deras, CKD, CID
  2. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Why wouldn't a rigid 15" long shower arm with a 90 degree down turn work without "articulation"? There are many of these made, in various lenghts, for use with "rainfall" shower heads.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. pderas

    pderas New Member

    Aug 10, 2012
    South San Francisco, CA
    Why rigid won't work

    Thanks for the thought.
    I've already considered these.
    They won't work because the arm needs to fold out of the way of other shower users in the family who would be standing.
    I had been considering a handheld mounted on the right end with an additional mount on the back wall for the amputee, who would be seated on a bench on the left end.
    The more I thought about this, the more I realized the long hose will make the handheld quite "droppable". Then how does the amputee retrieve it?
    The hose would pull it toward the right side of the shower floor, dangerously out of his reach.
    So I started thinking about a separate showerhead on the back wall.
    Problem there is that it would point toward the curtained opening when mounted. Guaranteed flood.
    Thence the articulated idea.
    I found a few, but none long enough to get out in front of him and none with a handheld either (though that would not be absolutely necessary if I can come up with the articulating arm that positions the head where he needs it).
    I may be looking for something that is just too specialized to have a market.
    Does anyone do custom parts like this?

    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. cheakamus

    cheakamus New Member

    Feb 22, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Could it be pieced together using a range-top pot filler with a shower head attached?
Similar Threads: Looking articulating
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Looking for Moen Brand faucet parts (1950's) Oct 14, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog I am looking for a quality white P.. May 12, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Looking for high flow shower/tub fixture Feb 6, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Purple or regular drywall with Kerdi membrane or Ardex 8+9? Looking at the best option Dec 14, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog A nicer looking out side corner Aug 9, 2014

Share This Page