Looking for advice on venting

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The vent in the newest drawing is not protecting the sink drain from aspiration when the washing machine discharge is flowing past its connection. Your earlier version with two vents was one way of doing it properly. The other way would have been to connect the washer trap to the 3", (the statement about not connecting anything below a toilet applied to conditions when the stack is used as the vent), and then running the vent to another vent, (not the sink drain). AAV's can only protect against negative pressures, but anything below a toilet or washer drain can be subjected to positive pressures if they do not have an atmospheric vent. The reason why vents and flood levels are interelated is that if the vent is too low and the drain plugs up, the vent will become a secondary drain once water in the sink rises to that level.

jamz

Reaction score
Even though you all solved my issues in a seperate thread, I think ill hang out some more and increase my knowledge.....

With that said, the last set of pictures (well done) it shows the sink discharging into a Santee on its side. I thought Santee's arent allowed on their sides.

JAmZ

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
jamz said:
Even though you all solved my issues in a seperate thread, I think ill hang out some more and increase my knowledge.....

With that said, the last set of pictures (well done) it shows the sink discharging into a Santee on its side. I thought Santee's arent allowed on their sides.

JAmZ

The sink discharges through a trap and then into a wye. Not a santee.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
So if I add a vent for the wash tub, all is well?

Vent size question: Is there any reason I couldn't step the vent size down to 1.5"? Any rules on keeping it the same size as the largest drain or anything like that?

jamz

Reaction score
mckeand13 said:
The sink discharges through a trap and then into a wye. Not a santee.

/me slaps forehead

I stared for 10 min at this pic and all i can say is "DUH, im an idiot"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks