Looking for Advice from Soda Ash injection users - does it clog filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dontspammeplease

Reaction score
After 20 years my well water treatment system needs to be replaced. The Ph Was 4.6, so to bring it to neutral it had to be run through 2 large calcium carbonate tanks. That was followed by a water softener. But I still got a lot of calcium scaling. The build up killed my first instant-hot-water tank, evaporated water spills left behind a white film, and every humidifier would have the filter clogged up with crusty calcium. So, I am thinking of going with Soda Ash injection system this time. I've read it won't harden the water or cause scaling. It that true? Also, has anyone had experience with using a humidifier with tap water from your soda ash treated home? Does it leave residue behind in the filters?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Soda Ash is a great way to go, the softener will be much more efficient. Using water with TDS in a humidifier will leave the residue, if you want to lessen that significantly, you need to lower the TDS.

Dontspammeplease

Reaction score
Soda Ash is a great way to go, the softener will be much more efficient. Using water with TDS in a humidifier will leave the residue, if you want to lessen that significantly, you need to lower the TDS.
Thank you. That is very helpful. If I understand you correctly, I'll have dissolved solids with Soda Ash too. Is there a way to calculate how much calcium carbonate medium I would need to run my water through to neutralize the ph? Before the water was 4.6 so I had to use two huge up-flow tanks of calcium carbonate. Now the well water has changed and the ph is only 5.98. Maybe I'd only need one normal sized tank and I'd have less calcium scaling. If that 's the case, the low-maintenance calcium up-flow tank would be a better way to go, I think. I Googled it until my fingers bled, but I couldn't find a formula to calculate the amount of calcium carbonate I'd need to run my water through. Do you know of a formula or a place where I could find one?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks