Looking for a new well pump-

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
ill look at that grundfos pump equivalent later this afternoon. I didn't know grundfos owned dab!
I did not know until just after I posted. DAB has different products, rather than rebranding Grundfos. DAB is new to me, but they clearly are a big outfit.

this is an offshoot question i guess but- is there any reason a pump would be set that low(285) in practice ?
Fear that the water level will drop. Unless there is a reason to the contrary, you would usually like to have the pump 20ft or more above the bottom to give room for sediment.

But the effort the pump exerts is overwhelmingly the lift from the water surface, and not the lift distance from the pump. The water flow resistance of the drop pipe is relatively low compared to the head due to lifting.

Ok guys - i made a serious error on the casing diameter as i am not on-site. its actually 6"ss casing! not 4" .
What do you mean by "ss"? Not stainless steel, because that would be very expensive.
Yeah, that 6 inches is a big difference. The 6 inch does call for a flow inducer for better pump life and maybe some other advantages. If your pump guy is not used to doing that, search out info. This forum is a good place to search using the search box above. You could build the flow inducer yourself if the pump guy does not do that usually.

potatowolf

Reaction score
I did not know until just after I posted. DAB has different products, rather than rebranding Grundfos. DAB is new to me, but they clearly are a big outfit.

Fear that the water level will drop. Unless there is a reason to the contrary, you would usually like to have the pump 20ft or more above the bottom to give room for sediment.

But the effort the pump exerts is overwhelmingly the lift from the water surface, and not the lift distance from the pump. The water flow resistance of the drop pipe is relatively low compared to the head due to lifting.

What do you mean by "ss"? Not stainless steel, because that would be very expensive.
Yeah, that 6 inches is a big difference. The 6 inch does call for a flow inducer for better pump life and maybe some other advantages. If your pump guy is not used to doing that, search out info. This forum is a good place to search using the search box above. You could build the flow inducer yourself if the pump guy does not do that usually.

6" steel casing, yeah flow inducer sounds good, they are willing to do anything themselves but i offered to help including pulling the pump etc. they just replaced the roof so its a tight schedule right now.

saw this thread on the sleeves for reference so I am trying to do as much R&D prior
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/lets-talk-inducer-sleeves.78342/#post-570428

potatowolf

Reaction score
thanks for all your help and support everyone. I haven't bought the pump yet- have to look at the grundfos 1/2 hp models but i didn't know pretty much jack before i stopped here so thank you for your time and explanations thus far.

Also there is a likelihood this is all diy as they might not be able to get a pump guy.

as for the pump ive been looking at this one by dab
the s4 5/07 3 wire # 60198660 / pump end 60198612
this one by macdonald w control box
A.Y. McDonald 23050V3
grundfos 10 SQ07-240

Last edited:

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
You had asked about pitfalls? Pitfall is a good term in this case. It's really obvious but some people overlook it:
Be extra careful yanking the pump up to the surface. Be very patient with it. Be sure your t handle threads all the way into your pitless top if that's the kind you have. Pull the pump up gently and take rest breaks. If the pump was coming up nicely and all of the sudden can't pass a certain point, work it GENTLY. The last thing you want is to drop the old pump down that hole beyond your reach. The bill gets super expensive to extract a pump lost in the bore by a DIY person.

Reaction score
Hey Potatowolf
If you need to replace your drop pipe, we have a product called WellHose DIY Drop Pipe. It is easier to work with and handle than any other drop pipe. Also totally non-corrosive and available in one, continuous length.
Please check it out at www.WellHose.com and call if you have any questions.
Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks