Looking for a copper tube ID = 5/8 " (15.875mm)

Users who are viewing this thread

laoadam

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would pick up some 1/2" pipe, either copper or PEX and connect at the ends for a repair.
For copper 1/2" sweat couplings or Sharkbite style
For PEX the easy fix would be Sharkbites.

Standard 1/2" copper pipe in a home is 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID

Last edited:

laoadam

Reaction score

Thanks , is this “Sioux Chief 5/8 in. Sweat x 5/8 in. Dia. Sweat Copper Repair Coupling” mean it has a 1/2 ID (Inside Dimension) ? I need slid it on a 1/2 tube.

I think what you want would be called a long slip coupling or repair slip coupling. E.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-600-206PK-Connection-Coupling/dp/B000VYKMF8

Cheers, Wayne

Thank you Wayne, I try to confirm the ID of it in the link, nobody answer yet.

Best
Adam

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.sharkbite.com/products/brass-push-slip-coupling may work for you.
U3008LF
Thanks , is this “Sioux Chief 5/8 in. Sweat x 5/8 in. Dia. Sweat Copper Repair Coupling” mean it has a 1/2 ID (Inside Dimension) ? I need slid it on a 1/2 tube.
No. It is made for repair of "1/2 inch copper. Note "Slips Over" as column heading. 1/2 CSTS is 5/8 OD.
img_7.jpg
er" which is

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Plumbing is sized by id
refrigeration is sized by od. 3/4" is . 040 oversized 5/8"
Could that pipe your looking at possibly froze and is expanded? Follow tubing back and check it's size.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
You don't state what your project is nor if you need the same ID over the entire 4".

If not, why not use a 3" piece of copper pipe with one 1/2" coupler at each end?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, it is what I need, the thing is the seller can't be able to tell me what the ID size is.
If it is a repair sleeve for 1/2" copper pipe that has an OD of 5/8", then the sleeve's ID would be 5/8". That is how a repair sleeve works.

laoadam

Reaction score
I made a mandrel or die like the picture attached and try to expand the tube end, any one has the experience on this, can I just use one die to expand it one time or may need step by step?
Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• post03.JPG
    post03.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
US copper tubing is sized by the nominal ID, but the actual OD's are fixed so you can use the same fittings for various types of copper (say type K, L, or M, the more common ones available in the USA). The more common types of copper tubing in the USA in say 1/2" are available in different wall thicknesses, but the OD is identical for all of them to facilitate using common fittings.

FWIW, Australia sizes theirs on the OD, so 1/2" pipe would be 1/2" on the OD, not 5/8" like that sold in the US.

So, any fitting would be designed to fit over the pipe, so on a 1/2" copper pipe, all fittings would have in ID of 5/8" (well, slightly larger to allow some solder to flow in the gap and make the seal, but not much).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks