Looking at replacing trim on early 1990s Delta valves for my grandparents in Puerto Rico

Users who are viewing this thread

Pink Jazz

Reaction score
My grandparents live in Puerto Rico, and I recently bought them new Moen showerheads (a 5.5 inch Moen Engage with Magnetix for the master bathroom, and a Moen Adler 4-function for the secondary bathroom).

Now, I am thinking about replacing the valve trim on their early 1990s Delta valves, since they are looking worn out.

Based on the way that these valves operate, it seems like they operate like a Delta 600 since you can rotate them in an arbitrary direction like a ball. However, their trim has levers instead of the more common "crystal ball". I wonder, could you identify what type of valve this is for I can find the right trim kit? As far as I know they were never upgraded.

Or am I better off buying whole new Moen Posi-Temp valves for optimal performance with the Moen showerheads? Interestingly I have the same 5.5 inch Moen Engage with Magnetix showerhead at my own home and it works fine with our Delta MultiChoice valve, so that could also be an option if the entire valve needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Ace hardware seems to have a better idea about trim than a plumbing house. The other thing I've found is a hardware store old school or plumbing supply in the not so good part of town. In today supply houses if it's not on a computer it doesn't exist.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This picture may help.

delta-conversion-1.jpg

Pink Jazz

Reaction score
Yep, that is one of the renovation kits I am interested in. There is also an aftermarket kit by Danco, but it only updates the trim and not the actual valve.

Do you think I should go with the Danco trim kit, go with the Delta renovation kit, or buy a whole new Moen Posi-Temp valve along with a matching trim kit? The first option would be the least expensive but probably would probably not be the best for the long run. Having a new Moen Posi-Temp valve installed along with new valve trim would be the most expensive but may be the best long-term option. The Delta renovation kit might be an in-between option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Pink Jazz

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I am not really in any rush to make any purchases, but if I eventually decide to spend the money, I am leaning towards the renovation kits (it has pretty good reviews online. Probably entirely new valves would be too costly with the cost of the valves and labor due to access (his house is concrete).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks