Looking at a lot with a 1004' well at 3 gpm

Users who are viewing this thread

Windward_coug

Reaction score
The well was drilled back in 2004 and has never been used. The static water level is 19'. The well log says the hole is 6 3/4" with a 5" PVC casing going all the way down to 1004' and a 8 5/8" steel casing going down the first 20'.

I plan on building a pretty big home but with very minimal landscaping. I live in NM and we don't do big yards here. It'll probably be around 3500 sq/ft with 4 bathrooms with some xeriscaping and a few trees.

What kind of set up would you recommend? After doing some research it seems that some people with a low yield well like mine set up a storage tank/cistern with a submersible pump and pressure tank on the house side of the storage tank. Seems like a pain for a set up like mine where I'm doing a minimal amount of irrigation.

I was thinking of getting a Goulds 7GS15 at 650'. That would give me about 630 gallons of reserve water and I don't think I'd need anything more than 7 gpm for my house. With a CSV and a cycle sensor I'd be okay with this set up right? Any idea what CSV I'd need with this set up?

What would you do with such a deep, low yield well?

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I had a similar situation many years ago in California. At first, the county would not approve the building permit for the house because their codes required a minimum 5 gpm for an occupied dwelling. The fire department also required 12,000 gallons of water storage, and the county finally relented and allowed the house if it was fed from the storage tank. Ended up with the well feeding the storage tank, controlled by float switches. Had a submersible pump in the bottom of the storage tank that sent the water up to the house, with the pressure tank on that line. With 12K gallons of water I was able to drip irrigate an orchard of fruit trees in addition to serving the house, which was 3300 sf with 4 BR/4 BA.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks