Long water service. New guy with a question

Users who are viewing this thread

jay manuel

Reaction score
Hey guys, been reading a bunch on here and found some very good information on here but I have question that hopefully someone can help me out with.

I have land in Mississippi that I am building a cabin on in the near future here and I need to run PEX or CTS pipe a total of 2300 feet from the meter to the future homesite. I will be putting the line off the side of my gravel road. From the meter the road rises around 30 feet high and then is fairly flat the rest of the way. The freeze line I am told is 8-10 inches so I will be attempting to go deeper if possible.

The home will consist of approx. 1600 sq ft, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, laundry and have 2 outside facets. The meter size at the road will be 3/4" but I can pay more and get a larger meter. I was told conflicting information by two plumbers this week.
One plumber says to run 1-1/2" CTS HDPE Poly Tubing and the other plumber says to go with 2", both with the 3/4" meter. The 1-1/2" plumber claims that it is adequate with a 3/4" meter and I will have sufficient flow. The 2" plumber says that the flow will not be sufficient with the 1-1/2" and I need to go with 2" but stay with the 3/4" meter. The price difference is close to $800 in pipe and another $200 in the larger fittings for the connections.
The 1-1/2" plumber claims the 2" pipe will not provide sufficient flow being a larger pipe, which I didn't quite understand but I am not a plumber just a DIYer like many others.
Is 1-1/2 inch pipe large enough to provide sufficient flow to the homesite? I wont be living in the home as this is a weekend getaway/hunting cabin so all plumbing fixtures wont be in use at the same time.

Also what couplers and fittings are best used for this project? I am doing this myself and don't have the fancy tools but I can rent them so that isn't a problem. I am hoping to use a subsoiler on my tractor to lay the pipe down but if it doesn't go quite right I will be renting a ride on trencher.
Any help or advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
You would probably use SIDR HDPE piping. It is larger than CTS. It has the same ID for different pressure ratings.

Use barbed connectors. Use two worm gear hose clamps for each connection. Stagger the worms around the pipe.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/where-do-u-buy-your-poly.75041/#post-552421

Don't pull the pipe tight. Snake it a bit for thermal expansion and contraction reasons.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/pipe-volume-calculator/ lets you compute a drop. CTS size is smaller than nominal size. SIDR is bigger than nominal size. That means "1.5 inch" is bigger than 1.5 inch ID. 10 gpm would handle most houses, but you may want to allow for more for irrigation and whatnot.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What psi is acceptable for good water flow?

There are various opinions. I would say 30 at the house for a single story, but 40 would be better.

A water softener will usually be OK regenerating at 30 PSI.

jay manuel

Reaction score
Ok so I talked back with the water meter installer and he tells me that they can only install a 3/4" meter at the location. Says that is what everyone in the county has. Not quite sure what to believe. Would I still be ok with a 2300' run of 1-1/2" black CTS pipe at that distance? The guy says I should be fine but im a little skeptical at this point because of all the conflicting info ive gotten so far.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so I talked back with the water meter installer and he tells me that they can only install a 3/4" meter at the location. Says that is what everyone in the county has.
That is an exaggeration. He should have said the great majority.

Would I still be ok with a 2300' run of 1-1/2" black CTS pipe at that distance? The guy says I should be fine but im a little skeptical at this point because of all the conflicting info ive gotten so far.
Did you run the calculator? What did that say?

You also would want to know the water pressure at the street and the elevation change between the street and your cabin. The calculator gives the dynamic pressure drop, but you still need to add in the static pressure.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks