Long sweep or sanitary tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Twitchell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a plumbing scenario I need help with. Trying to confirm what code allows for and what is best. for my side split house I have a 2pc powder room (currently under reno) on main level and 3pc bath upstairs (being added). I'm tying a stack into the the existing 3" line that comes up from the basement for the powder room. How can I do it? with a long sweep? or do I have to dig the drain down lower and drill a new hole through the concrete to accommodate a tee?

The 3" stack will run straight up through the roof. The 3pc upstairs washroom will drain down it. So I'll use the wet stack to vent the 2pc bath. and for the 3pc upstairs venting I will connect venting lines to it in attic before it exits the roof. The only part I haven't figured out is how I'm allowed to make the drain connection. I live in Ontario Canada.

If option B is the required choice - do I have to also use a long sweep turn through the concrete wall?

refer to the drawing attached, I can send pics as well if it helps.

Thanks!
layout.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, not familiar with Canadian plumbing, but in the US, a vertical wet vent is only allowed within the same story. Meaning if the 3" stack in your drawing has an upstairs bathroom draining down it, you can't use it for venting the main floor toilet.

As to your question, either option works, it's just a question of whether you want to leave the connection point horizontally or vertically. Your choice.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
Option A works for everybody. Option B work for everybody if the 90 bend going from vertical to horizontal is long. A is better.
I had missed that the vent from above was carrying waste.

David Twitchell

Reaction score
thanks guys. Appreciate your input. Yeah I had heard about the complicating issue of using a wet stack as a vent. what's the problem it presents exactly? is it that the velocity of the water/solids from above can suck the water from the downstairs p trap(s) or it is a restriction to the downstairs venting when both toilets flush at same time as an example?

So should I run a totally separate 2" vent line up (before the Whe 1/8 bend) to vent the main level toilet & vanity - avoiding the issue of using the wet stack as a vent altogether?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At a friends home, I was noticing that when the upstairs toilet was flushed, the first floor toilet was losing water. It was a finished home, so not sure how that one was done.
I can't pull a permit though and pass an inspection if the vent is being used for waste on the floor above.

David Twitchell

Reaction score
At a friends home, I was noticing that when the upstairs toilet was flushed, the first floor toilet was losing water. It was a finished home, so not sure how that one was done.
I can't pull a permit though and pass an inspection if the vent is being used for waste on the floor above.

ok thanks. I guess it does make sense there would be a bit of pull there. Could shed a bit of water each time an upstairs toilet was flushed down. I would have thought the straight up access to air from roof would have been enough to prevent that but after I think about it more probably not quite enough. Breathe from above but also draw out a little water from the downstairs toilet trap as well.

thanks for the education & help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It pushes air which makes the water in the bowl rise and then drop over the high part of the trapway.
Here is what that looks like with a 3" double fixture fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks