Long sewerline run... lift needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doin' my best

Reaction score
Hi,
We live in a home built in the 1970s. We have lived here for 14 years... in that time we have had sewerline "issues" maybe 3 times. Never back up into the house, but smells leading to cleaning out the long line to the city sewer.

This time there was a blockage or break and the workers are digging out the line to replace the broken section. They are hinting we might need to install some sort of pump on our sewerline... this sounds expensive... is it needed? How do I know?

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the workers are people you hired.

There needs to be a minimum slope on the sewer line. That slope may be as little as 1/8 inch per foot of run.

How long is your run?

Do people in your neighborhood get sewer backups?

Do you have a basement?

Doin' my best

Reaction score
I presume the workers are people you hired.

There needs to be a minimum slope on the sewer line. That slope may be as little as 1/8 inch per foot of run.

How long is your run?

Do people in your neighborhood get sewer backups?

Do you have a basement?

Yes, the workers are those I hired.

They have found the initial break (where a previous repair had been done with a hose clamp and a brick on our 4" PVC pipline.

The run is lengthy... through our woods about 150 feet or so and then into a manhole... we do not share this line with anyone else.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would back fill the repair with sand.

If it worked for 14 years, I see no reason that you should need a pump, unless the run is going up hill.

If your lines are going thru the woods, It may be a good time to make fire wood. Roots can change the pitch of PVC. Schedule 40 may be the best for the job.

Good Luck on your project.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My parents run is 250 feet to the main sewer.
It has been fine. I do know that it was installed with grade. Nothing works if the line is flat.
Of course if the line is broken, that is an issue.

Doin' my best

Reaction score
So they found an old repair (pre-2001) which had broken - guessing the use of a metal hose clamp and a brick on top of it finally shifted out of alignment. They put in new pipe in that section, new black rubber collar thingee to connect to the vertical rising cleanout and put cement under that to stabilize it. Magically the city just came out to check the workers work.. we shall see what happens next....

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It cracks me up, that close to here they try to make shit go up hill.

They Tear the road up to fix it.

As soon as the new pipe fills up they tear it up again.

You would think that would get a clue, after replacing the Pipe 10 times.

Sometimes Rain water can cause problems, A lot of places put runoff in the sewer system.

Then they filter it , add a bit of chlorine and sell it back to you as drinking water.

Yum. Flavored water right out of the tap, and no need to buy coolaid for the kids.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks