Long run tempering tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daltex

Reaction score
I have wasted so many hours planning this mess. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 bathrooms with tubs (one huge soaker tub in master)
2 bathrooms with showers and no tub

Current setup is 3 electric tanks. Location Texas. Occupied Thursday night through Sunday night 2 adults and 2 kids.

#1: 50 gal. at one end of house servicing laundry room and one bathroom with shower only. Also a small kitchen that has little usage but has sink and dishwasher. Main use is laundry. Backs up to the garage which is enclosed as workshop but not climate controlled.

#2: Under stair landing about 60' from garage. Serves main kitchen, one bath with tub and one bath with shower but shower is rarely used. Can't fit gas furnace close to this spot due to exhaust for tankless would be very close to front door and a med. 40 gal. tank barely fits.

#3: 40 gal. Located almost straight upstairs from #2 and serves master bath with huge tub and separate shower. Located in cabinet inside of bathroom.

Initial plan was to take laundry tank and relocate gas direct vent or power vent to garage space. Gas service is a foot away. Run it over to connect to 1st area but also tee it off to also feed tank 2 and tank 3 (65' to tank 2 and then 20 foot more to tank 3). Would then reduce size of tank 3 to 20-30 gal or even 10 gal point of use.

Main concern: Cost of non-atmospheric tank is fairly huge and it's going to be a PITA to run a 3/4" pex to the other areas (tank 2 & 3). I would be leaving up to 1.5 gallons of heated water in the line for every hot water draw. Lots of flue heat loss on days it's unused. I may just leave #2 and 3 as they are and #1 convert to gas and turn it on vacation mode when away.

Thoughts??

Daltex

Reaction score
I'm still searching for the best approach but I think that I will just replace the existing electric tank with another electric one. Reason is cost of PV or DV tank along with hassle of install to place it where I was going to put it. Chaps my azz that the supply houses charge more then big box for a PV unless I go with A.O. Smith which I choose not to.

Standby losses from flue vs. electric tank would surely offset much of my future saving of converting to NG. As I stated I am only there 3 days a week. I also need more calculations about running a long line to other tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks