Long PEX Run underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Bruce F

Reaction score
I need to run a waterline from my chicken house to my new goat barn, about 220 ft. I would like to use 3/4 PEX, which should give me adequate pressure and flow. In my location frost line is 24 inches. At that depth, do I need to worry about expansion/contraction (reported 1.1" per 10 degrees per 100 ft)? If expansion/contraction might be a problem how do I compensate for it underground?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this well water or city water? Well water from the ground is fairly constant in temperature all year long whereas a municipal water supply the temperature varies with the seasons. Do try to make the full run with no fittings in between. The fitting are the weak point with PEX and they will easily fails if the water ever froze. The fittings also have a smaller diameter that will restrict flow. PEX can take a freeze better since it can give a little.
You also should adapt some air pressure fittings to blow out the line if you get a deep freeze as this past winter. I would actually bury the pipe a little deeper than 24" where the temperature is more stable.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd snake it some as Reach said and bury below frost level is Worth Florida suggestion . no need to pull tight or install above frost line. those 2 are musts .

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to run a waterline from my chicken house to my new goat barn, about 220 ft. I would like to use 3/4 PEX, which should give me adequate pressure and flow. In my location frost line is 24 inches. At that depth, do I need to worry about expansion/contraction (reported 1.1" per 10 degrees per 100 ft)? If expansion/contraction might be a problem how do I compensate for it underground?

Don't assume there is nothing underground. Get your ground marked for utilities first.

Set your trencher at 24" depth and go for it. DO NOT RENT a manual trencher. Get a trencher you can RIDE. Trust me. it's the difference between an hour and a half of EASY vs. an entire day you'll feel for the next two weeks.

Pex is rated for underground. You can direct-bury. You're piping 220-feet. Me personally, I would probably use 1-1/2 polyethylene (black well pipe). 220-feet is a long run. why not increase volume now so you never have to touch it again. I'd buy a 300-foot roll and be done with it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We bury our lines below frost level 12 inches code here. Depending how much water the chickens drink Im agreeing with op for a 3/4 line going poly would save money and provide more flow as the ID is bigger than pex, big job digging 3 foot 220 ft long so I might splurge for 1 inch . even though its over kill 1 1/2 I would use if it was either free or I already had it. more work more money zero advantage

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good point on second conduit for power. gas, cable, whatever you can think of you might want in future . careful thought 220 foot is a long way to dig and digging twice 440 foot aint much fun

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks