Long distance sanitary run

Users who are viewing this thread

JayGSmi

Reaction score
Look to provide service to a new outbuilding on the back of my property. hoping to get some general guidance.

The out building will have a full bath, washer, dishwasher, kitchen sink. It is 160 ft from the street connection. I would be looking to connect to the the house's sanitary line which is about an 80ft run over essentially level ground. Connection would be made in the crawlspace approx 36" below grade. Frost line in 18".

I am also wondering about sanitary and storm lines? Do these need to be separate lines or can they be fed into the same? My 1950 house all feed into one line, from what I know. Will my city make me upgrade this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Connection would be made in the crawlspace approx 36" below grade. Frost line in 18".
Why not join the new cottage sewer closer to the city sewer by going around the house? Despite the longer path, it is likely to be cheaper, I would think. This assumes your land is dig-able rather than being a lot of rock.

You will need to know how much drop you have to work with.

JayGSmi

Reaction score
Why not join the new cottage sewer closer to the city sewer by going around the house? Despite the longer path, it is likely to be cheaper, I would think. This assumes your land is dig-able rather than being a lot of rock.

You will need to know how much drop you have to work with.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain why it would be cheaper to go around? Would I have to upgrade the existing service if its a 4in pipe now?

going around the house would be 150ft run and would require digging up the drive way. Connection to the house would be a straight run through nice diggable soil.

My elevations show a 2' slope from front to back. not sure it would be possible to make it all the way to the street on gravity alone? I don't know much about this though.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way is to put in a pump pit with a grinder pump outside the back house then you can run a 3" pipe level straight under the house and then do your tie in

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

Concrete driveway is a reason to avoid going around. Slicing the driveway and repaving that slice is extra work. Drilling under the driveway take special equipment. How about going around the house the other way?

Otherwise, while you have the trench digger there, it may not be that much more expensive to make a longer trench. Working and digging in a crawlspace is harder.

Plastic pipe is cheap.

While going around, you may be able go get enough slope (probably 1/8 inch per foot minimum) more readily.

Still, going to the house first may be better. Maybe not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks