Long (deep) garage split in half

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMane

Reaction score
I have a Long (deep) garage about 50' I want to split in half such that the back half is a living space with full bath / kitchen etc. and the front half remains a garage. It would all be on one level slab on ground cutting through the slab for plumbing. I am just wondering if there are any code issues with having all that right behind a dividing wall like if a car drove through the wall or whatever else in terms of codes. Anyone know of restrictions or considerations?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Fire code requires 5/8" drywall between the garage and living/attic space. A door from the garage to the living space must be a 20 minute fire door. A problem might be the elevation of the floor. You may need to contact a contractor for your local codes. The living floor may have to be raised to prevent water intrusion and gasoline vapors from the garage. There is nothing that I know of about a barrier but it won't hurt to lay down a three foot high cement block wall if it makes you feel comfortable. You. may know but wherever wood touches concrete, requires treated lumber. For the walls the exterior walls may also require a sill sealer and a minimum amount of insulation and windows.
If you are going to pull permits it is best to get a contractor to be sure you have local codes covered.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks