Logamatic setback problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrr

Reaction score
I have trying to get a Logamatic 2107 night setback to work on a BFU controlled mixed circuit on a Boderus G115WS. Instead of setting the temperature back, the boiler just stops firing at the setback time until about 3AM when the boiler temperature has fallen to about 68. I can't believe that the unit isn't defective. At this point I have narrowed it down by setting up the Logamatic simply as follows:
  • CIRCUIT 1 set to NO-SYSTEM, so that it cannot interfere with the setback (I do have a couple of thermostatically controlled zones but for these experiments I have told the Logamatic that there nothing connected to the higher temperature)
  • DHW has been set to AUT, so that it should not kick in during the night setback (or at least not unit the last 30 minutes of the setback period)
  • CIRCUIT 2 set to PERIM-HTG, REF TEMP 145, MAX TEMP2 160, REMOTE 2 ON, ROOMCOMP 6, RMSETBACK, OFFSET 0
  • Program 2 is set to SENIOR (10PM-5:30AM night setback)
  • Boiler: BLDG RESP 1, PUMPLOGIC 104, MAX TEMP 180, FREEZETEMP 41
  • BFU2: dial set to 72, and BFU setback switch set to 1 (i.e., 1.8 degrees for this test, so should only set back to 70) and HK set to 2
In manual day mode the system works great, and I can dial back the temperature at night without a problem. I have oversized cast iron radiators that used to overshoot with my old boiler, and the Logamatic and the mixing valve on circuit 2 keeps things very steady. So it would be great if the night setback also worked! Another weird this is that if I wake up at 2AM, if I power cycle the Logamatic it seems to start working again. Also, it seems that the heating curve 2 shown on the LCD is correct -- 50-86, 32-111, and 14-133 -- and the outdoor temperature shows correctly (e.g., 30) -- it's just not being followed).

Does anyone see anything that could be wrong with the setting that would cause the boiler to turn off rather than set back by a few degrees?

I've contacted Bosch, but it seems they are stumped and/or haven't found someone who can spot what's wrong.

Thanks,

Robin

Fitter30

Reaction score
Room set back have a room sensor? When cycling power will reset any failures or conflicts. Never worked on this.control I'll let look.at tomorrow when im fresh. Where this control tied into the boiler?

Jrr

Reaction score
A Bosch BFU (HS2105) room sensor is connected to a FM241 mix controller in the Logamatic 2107 (pretty much like Example 8.7 in the Applications Manual) -- works great except for the automatic setback mode. In fact, I replaced the BFU because I thought it might be bad with no change. So this seems like a Logamatic specific issue, and more specifically a room-sensor-based programmed setback.

Jrr

Reaction score
I am not sure if you mean the BFU room sensor setting in the rotary switch. I have tried #1, #3 and #4 -- all the same -- it's currently at #1=1.8 degreesF. I am attaching a photo of my BFU and the manual page I am relying on.

Attachments

• BFU setting.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 149

Jrr

Reaction score
I went back and read the notes in the Application Manual for Example 8.7 -- I see that is says something curious:

HK2 circuit (mixed temperature)
• Mixed water temperature is maintained based on the selected heating curve and input from the outdoor sensor (FA), supply sensor (FV) and room sensor.
• During setback periods, the boiler temperature will be reduced based on the night setback setting on the room sensor.
• Power to the PH-HK2 circuit is turned off under the following conditions:
1) Initial part of night setback period
2) Condensate protection
3) Outdoor temperature exceeds WWSD setpoint
• This application requires a room sensor for radiant floor heating.

So it seems that the "initial part of night setback period" is lasting way too long -- I don't see what is supposed to end that period.

Jrr

Reaction score
I don't think there is an issue here, but I drew up the wiring diagram of how the system is set up right now...

Attachments

• Buderus+Logamatic-wiring.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 153

Jrr

Reaction score
I've been monitoring the boiler, mix, and room temperature so you can see that the boiler just shuts down when the night period starts...

Attachments

• 2022-01-17-18.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 130
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks