Location of new CSV valve and outdoor spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

CallMeChaz

Reaction score
Time to replace the waterlogged pressure tank in a home I just bought. After following the discussions on this forum, I want to use a CSV valve. We have a major water consumption device--a geothermal system. I'm guessing it runs 3-5GPM 25-50% of the time, all year long. Plus we irrigate our landscape and vegetable garden.

I have a question about location of the valve and an outdoor spigot. Currently my submerged well is about 100' from the house. The pressure tank is inside the house. I recently excavated the wellhead to about 18", and installed an outdoor spigot in the main line about a foot from the well for our vegetable garden.

I understand I must install the CSV between the well and the spigot. The excavation can be boxed in and insulated below the Tennesse frost line. I can install the valve immediately after the main line exits the well casing, before the spigot.

I will then have: well casing, main line nipple, CSV, nipple, spigot, 100' main line to house, pressure tank. Will that work to allow use of the spigot? I really don't want to have to install the pressure tank outside at the well!

Also, are there any maintenance issues that will be complicated by having the CSV outside, in the pit?

Thanks for any guidance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I will then have: well casing, main line nipple, CSV, nipple, spigot, 100' main line to house, pressure tank. Will that work to allow use of the spigot?
Yes. Pressure tank and pressure switch would be together in the house.

CallMeChaz

Reaction score
Yes. Pressure tank and pressure switch would be together in the house.

Thanks for validating. The spigot works now located just off the well casing, but with a pronounced but brief surge every time the pump kicks in. Don't notice it when watering stuff from the house spigots.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for validating. The spigot works now located just off the well casing, but with a pronounced but brief surge every time the pump kicks in. Don't notice it when watering stuff from the house spigots.
If that occurred with a good pressure tank, that would indicate that the air precharge should be set a little lower. That spigot probably draws more gpm than the other spigots.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes it will work fine as Reach says. But make sure to not have a check valve anywhere after the well head. The check valve down on the pump is the only one you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks