Location of expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceL

Reaction score
In my bathroom remodel, I discovered my house has 90psi water pressure. There has never been a pressure reducer installed. But this might explain why I've replaced the valves in our LG washing machine a couple of times (sorry for blaming LG).

As I understand it, if I put a pressure reducer in, I ought to add an expansion tank as well. From what I can tell, there isn't a reason to locate the expansion tank close to the water heater---so I can put it on the cold line near where the water main enters the house (after the pressure reducer), and that should solve any problems with pressure buildup in the lines, right?

Thanks,
Bruce

Reach4

Reaction score
As I understand it, if I put a pressure reducer in, I ought to add an expansion tank as well. From what I can tell, there isn't a reason to locate the expansion tank close to the water heater---so I can put it on the cold line near where the water main enters the house (after the pressure reducer), and that should solve any problems with pressure buildup in the lines, right?
Right.

There will probably be a dissenting opinion. He may post a link to a manufacturer's instructions, but you will not find that link to say there must not be a WH water shutoff valve between the expansion tank and the WH. If you do close the WH water intake valve, turn off the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks