location of clean out plug

Users who are viewing this thread

utah109

Reaction score
My house was built in 1975 so i'm sure that it has one but i can't find it anywhere. I pretty sure that its buried somewhere. How would i go about finding it. Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
2 questions, are you on a slab and how far from the street are you?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

No way to tell from here, and even if we were there, once the cleanout is covered with dirt they can be almost impossible to located without putting a camera into the pipe to find where the "branch' opening is. I have probed the ground every few inches looking for them and when the camera found it, there were probe holes on all four sides of it. In some areas up to about that time, the cleanout was merely a tee with a plug in the top of the pipe about 2' from the house, and you have to dig down to it.

utah109

Reaction score
yes i am on a slab and its around 10 yards to the street.

Last edited:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you trying to locate the end of line cleanout, or the cleanout that ties the building drain into the building sewer? (The building drain is the drain in/under the house, the building sewer is from the house to the city lateral) The end of the line cleanout is usually close to where the furthest toilet/fixture is located. Some codes allow you to delete the cleanout at the drain sewer tie in if the house is located within a certain distance from the city lateral.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It's common in our area not to have a cleanout. Most plumbers won't even attempt to find one if the homeowner can't point it out to them. They just march up to the roof and use the vent(s) for snaking purposes. When I wanted to relocate some fixtures, I called the plumber who did the house when it was built (1973). He swore there was a cleanout, and marked the spot where it was. I dug until I could hear someone speaking Chinese without finding a cleanout, so went ahead and carved up the slab as necessary. Found that sure enough, there wasn't a cleanout; there is one now.

utah109

Reaction score
Well i finally found it after going to a neighbors house to see where his was. altogether i probed for about an hour and i was fixing to give up when i hit it. Thanks for the help fellows.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like hj said they can be a pain to find. Were you able to open it easy?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks