Locating PEX Pipe Under Concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

dougin

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of developing the basement in our new home. The basement is heated with PEX pipe under the concrete and works great in this colder weather we have been experiencing up here in Canada. There is roughed in plumbing including toilet and shower drains but unfortunately the shower drain needs to be moved. I want to move the shower drain about 6-8 feet and will have to break up the concrete to do so however, I have the problem of the pipe in the concrete. I'm not exactly sure of where the pipe is and the pattern they used when laying it down... hence my dilemma. Anyone know a method of finding the approximate - within a few inches - location of the pipe under the concrete? If not, is there any tried and true way to break up the concrete without damaging the pipe in the concrete?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You will get a good approximation by turning the heat off for a day, then turning it on and using an infrarared thermometer to see where the floor heats up first. That should be above the pipes. The only safe way to break the concrete is with a sledge hammer. Any other method will puncture the tubes if you hit them.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Infrared Photography. There are plenty of guys out there that would be happy to get paid to use their IR camera.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks