Locating drainage under cement

Users who are viewing this thread

davder

Reaction score
My first post, so please bare with me. Is there a good way to track the direction of a drain line running into the basement floor cement slab? I'm looking to add a bathroom 'not' where one was roughed in. I have clear visibility of the drain and vent lines going into the cement floor that are very close to where I would like to tap into. Hopefully it is as easy as knowing where the lines are and then cutting/jackhammering into the floor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
unless you can get some good dead reckoning for direction to look then all I can think of is if its PVC then run a metal cable in the pipe and use a pipe horn to locate it. For metal pipe you can use a pipe horn directly to transmit a locating signal. Personally, for local needs I just call the local gas company and the guys come out and run any line I want them to run....no problem.. for the most part I don't have a real need for locating equipment but there are locating services in some areas.... I'd love to own a pipe horn or other device to locate pipes. I've got a video camera I can run 100' in a 1 1/2" or larger pipe and get a good idea of where to dig.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks