Locating bathtub p-trap in basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Maggie R

Reaction score
Long story short, some mortar was poured down our bathtub drain in our basement, it hardened and now needs to be replaced. We were told by our home insurance company that our home is new enough (2007) that our p-trap could possibly be located in the wall vs. the foundation but that they'd have to cut the wall open on the other side of the bathroom to be sure. Is there a way to figure this out before cutting into the wall? For instance, if I could track down blueprints or building records for the home, would that be a piece of information that's included? I am only curious to know before we tear into the wall because it's looking like a $400 vs. $4,000 fix and if it's the latter, it'll be a minute before we can have it repaired and I'd love to avoid having a hole in our wall for months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MKS

Reaction score
The p trap is normally located below the bathtub drain. So if the tub sits on the basement floor the p trap would be below the concrete floor. A picture would help.
p_SCP_178_23.jpg

Note p trap location above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks